AMS 5 release window / features?

AMS 5 release window / features?

Postby EKjellquist » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Gents,

Just curious as to whether there's any release window or news regarding the future of AMS whether that's more of a 4.3 or a 5.0 sort of thing? Haven't seen any news or announcements in some time. For me mainly I'm looking for TLS 1.3 support and openSSL updates but I'd be interested to know if you have any other new features you're working on or planning on supporting!
EKjellquist

Re: AMS 5 release window / features?

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm

We don't have any release dates for adding TLS 1.3 yet but this is high on our priorities. Other updates will likely include a bunch of small WebMail changes and also possibly DKIM as this has been asked for a few times lately.
Code Crafters

Postby EKjellquist » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm

I'd be interested in DKIM, especially as a foundation for using DMARC for our domains, as more and more domains we send to and receive from are using both and we've had a few send failures recently due to not being able to use either with AMS yet (though it's been rare so far).
EKjellquist

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:56 pm

We've started work on an update to the WebMail system. This migrates the whole project from Angular 2 to Angular 7 with quite a few feature and bug tweaks.

We will consider either TLS 1.3 / DKIM for our next major update though.
Code Crafters

Postby sjoram » Wed May 27, 2020 10:57 pm

Hi,

I've been using SPF for a number of years now and have just got around to adding a DMARC record for it.
However, AMS doesn't yet support DKIM and obviously also does not check DMARC inbound.

The inbound mail for me mostly passes through web hosting forwarders so has already been checked at that level and AMS is set to look for specific mail headers from those checks and act accordingly, but it would be good to have DKIM support on outbound mail without needing to use a relay.

I'm currently still using an old version that lacks the TLSv1.2 support (I know that this was added some time ago). Again for me, mainly an issue with outbound mail.
Given that when purchasing a licence updates are only covered for 1 year and AMS updates don't seem as frequent as in the early years, I wondered whether to upgrade now or hold out a bit longer if any newer releases with some extra features are on the horizon? Although I'm well aware that TLS1.0 is now deprecated, given mine is only a home server, I'm not too fussed at holding out a little longer if it's worth waiting?...
sjoram

Postby Code Crafters » Sun May 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Ability Mail Server 4 mainly adds a new WebMail interface. We're doing an update to this soon. After that we'll try to add DKIM as we know this is a very popular feature that's often asked for. If you upgrade now, hopefully DKIM will be added before your year of upgrades expires.
Code Crafters

Postby EKjellquist » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:40 pm

<BUMP>

Just looking for any updates, haven't heard any news on the beta front or otherwise regarding any updates post-4.3.0. Still a lot of features we need security-wise, and it'd be comforting to have any information for us to chew on. It's been about 16 months since the last OpenSSL 1.0.2 update (official support was dropped after that time), and though we're able to mitigate most of the security vulnerabilities by other means, it's harder and harder to remain compliant. We really need TLS 1.3 / OpenSSL 1.1.1 support more than anything, and DMARC/DKIM, DANE/TLSA, ECC certificate support would be nice-to-haves.

We're starting to have issues where sending servers refuse to connect to us w/o whitelisting b/c of outdated ciphers, and I can't get approval for a software upgrade when I have no information on when those features might be available, or if a version 5.0 would fall within the typical 1-year software maintenance window.
EKjellquist

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:33 pm

We're hoping to add support for TLS 1.3 and DKIM this year. Whether this is in version 4 or 5, it will be included as long as you have an active license to update.
Code Crafters

Postby sjoram » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Just to chime in, it looks like OpenSSL v1.0.x may start to have issues using LetsEncrypt certs as of later this year... https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/ope ... tes/143816
sjoram

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:10 am

Thanks for the update
Code Crafters

Postby EKjellquist » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:10 pm

Bumping this thread, haven't heard / seen anything on an AMS 5 release or beta period. Any news on that? Seems to be no update to 4.x since 9/1/2020, either.
EKjellquist

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:50 pm

We're planning an AMS 5 release before the end of the year hopefully. This will mainly include WebMail updates and bug fixes. This won't include OpenSSL / DKIM in the initial release though.
Code Crafters

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 am

We have now released Ability Mail Server 5.0.0

Changes in this update are:

- Added: WebMail folder list filter.
- Updated: WebMail to Angular 13.
- Updated: WebMail number of languages increased from 52 to 89.
- Updated: WebMail folders ordered by special folders first then alphabetical.
- Updated: WebMail move emails modal now auto-focuses the folder filter.
- Updated: WebMail date format.
- Updated: WebMail Email page 'Close' button renamed to 'Back to Messages'.
- Updated: WebMail auto-signups now requires at least one signup domain.
- Updated: AMS Transfer tool migrates user language (e.g. en-US to en).
- Fixed: AMS Transfer tool now correctly migrates users and groups.
- Fixed: Remote Admin 'language is invalid' error could prevent saving.
- Fixed: WebMail Edit Address Book Entry didn't load the correct fields.
- Fixed: WebMail compose message body click didn't always focus the edit area.
- Fixed: WebMail new folders didn't appear in move email folder list straight away.
- Fixed: WebMail large numbers were sometimes wrongly converted.
- Fixed: WebMail mobile menu options didn't align correctly when hovered.
- Fixed: WebMail logout now shows a loading spinner.

https://www.codecrafters.com/AbilityMai ... ateHistory

To update your current installation, please select ‘Check for Updates’ from the Help menu of the dialog admin interface. You can also perform the update by downloading from https://download.codecrafters.com/ams.exe and re-installing over the top of your current installation.
Code Crafters

Postby EKjellquist » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:08 pm

We performed the upgrade a few weeks back from AMS 4, took awhile but went ok (due to large mail folders mostly). Happy with the Angular updates as there were a lot of emails previously in Webmail that would format weird and affect the webmail GUI, haven't noticed that at all in A13.

This is currently my biggest worry, given that we're still effectively using OpenSSL 1.0.2 - https://www.securityweek.com/high-severity-dos-vulnerability-patched-openssl?&web_view=true
EKjellquist

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:35 am

DKIM and SSL still are the biggest features on our list to do. Both are not small updates but are our highest priority.
Code Crafters

Return to General