backing up server from command line

backing up server from command line

Postby md9000 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi,
I was needing to do a nightly backup of all the user accounts, settings, mail, etc. and know how to do this manually.
Is there any way to do a backup automatically, say, from the command line (batch files or scripts)?
Can I just copy the folders, or is this more involved?
TIA
md9000

Re: backing up server from command line

Postby rob » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:13 am

Currently our backup system cannot be automated (something to be added in the future) but you can indeed just backup the files. Basically, if you haven't changed any of the file paths, you need only copy the installation folder, but it may be better to use real third party backup software. Now I should note that when the mail server is live, the files will be accessed regularly so the backup is not guaranteed to be 'perfect' every time, but so far many users have implemented such a method and we have no reports of problems caused by this.
rob

Postby robertlee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:14 am

Have a look at Novabackup workstation, for AMS running on 2000/XP (non servers), it will handle open files so your email server can run 24/7 while it does teh backup to CD/DVD/Tape/Disk, we use this for small business/home business customers and works a treat for $50.

http://www.novastor.com
robertlee

Postby waterman34 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Personally I wouldn't use the novabackup, I tested it on my backup mail server and it wouldn't even work properly on that, my personal opinion being that I could never trust it to backup my servers if it can't work on a simple system!

I use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows from here - http://eu.acronis.com/

It might be a little expensive but it's the stuff. I've had a couple of 'moments' in the 8 months since I've been running it and it's restored whatever nessaccary without any problems at all. My advice if you want a real good backup solution is to use this.
waterman34

Postby alanj » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:27 pm

We use robocopy a free command line backup tool from Microsoft. We schedule this command to run at 3am and a full back is done of all email and folders to a network drive using the mirror command /MIR only the changes are copied over and any mails that have been deleted are also removed for the backup. takes less the 20 minutes to complete after the initial (first backup) is done.

I don’t have it with me now but will be happy to share the command line combination we use if anyone wants it .

Regards

Alan
alanj

Postby m1byo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 am

Alan,

I have been using this Robocopy application for approximatley 3 months without too many issues. however I am sure that this backing up has caused the mail server to crash on 2 occasions in this 3 months.

Have you had any problems with the backups causing AMS to crash for you?

Thanks

Ian
m1byo

Return to General