POP3 Retrieve questions

POP3 Retrieve questions

Postby robertlee » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 am

Hi
I downloaded the AMS for testing as we have just taken on lots of small business/home business users, the features is great, esp the spam and AV facility where the otehr mail servers such as mailsite charges a fortune for.

I am used to Exchange 5.5/2000/2003, so the thinking of how AMS works is totally different for me, and I am at a lost.

I have managed to setup AMS using MX without any problems at all, all works well first time, but I am stuck at the POP3 Retrieve side, which is one of the key goal (most small biz/home biz uses POP3 servers for their emails), I somehow cant seem to understand the logic of how this should work.

Say I have one company with their hosting/emails = bap.com, all hosting &emails are currently hosted by their ISP on POP3
How (or whats the best way) to setup AMS ? do I use bap.com as the master domain ? and then whats the correct way to set up the users and the POP3-R facility ?

One reason why POP3-R is easier as most of the small business/home business does not have static-IP, plus AMS is still new to us, I would rather run it off POP3 until we are confident with the product, so should we hit problems that we couldn't solve, we could quickly revert them back to direct POP3 collect from their ISP.

As for suggesions, could it be possible to alter the webmail template ? to something similar to OWA ? I find the Web interface somewhat unfriendly, plus the tab-focus is out, ie, tab from TO : end up on the pushbutton rather than jumping to the CC: box, would be nice to be able to change this.

I have to say AMS's feature are very impressive, I also wonder what type of user base AMS users are on ? ie. number of domains/users/email counts.

Many thanks

APOLOGY. posted in the wrong forum...
robertlee

Re: POP3 Retrieve questions

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 am

There are 2 sorts of POP3 retrievals: automatic POP3 retrievals done periodically by the mail server system or user POP3 retrievals delivered direct to that user when they log in or press the POP3 Retrievals button in WebMail. If you are creating local domains the same as the ones on the ISP where the ISP has one catch-all domain then you would probably want to set up an automatic POP3 retrieval and re-distribute based on header fields. However, if there are separate accounts on the ISP then you'd have to set up an individual user POP3 retrieval for each user to fetch their own emails from the ISP.

I have moved this topic to the General forum for you.
Code Crafters

Return to General