Service lockup

Service lockup

Postby sillyme » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:51 pm

since 8:00 EST this morning ams has been freezing every 10 min or so. It is on win 2003 server, running as a service. the display shows connections but no activity. the system service shows it is still running and there are no errors in the event log untill I try to stop the service when a time out occurs. Deinitialize also does not work. The menu system works but it locks if you try to save. I have to load task manager end the ams task then i can restart the service. then everything is fine for 10-15Min.

I am going through log files to see if there is a pattern to the occurence. Please help if you can. and I will post updates.

Bob
sillyme

Re: Service lockup

Postby sillyme » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Right after my original post I reinstalled ams. it worked until 12:37 then began locking up again

Chris, let me know if there is anything I can send to you that may help.

Bob
sillyme

Postby sillyme » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:31 pm

I have just learned that some files with attachments are not downloading to the clients outlook. If they exit thier outlook the server will not let me move the file. After restarting AMS I can move the email to another folder and then they can recieve their mail. If I move it back (using webmail) they cannot download again. Does not happen with all accounts and is not limited to any certain attachment type.

is this what is causing the system to time out and appear to lock up?

Bob
sillyme

Postby sillyme » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:05 am

I had the admins for all the domains go in and delete the mail that was not downloading. Once they did that it has not locked up. Of course it is after hours so we will see how it rolls in the morning.

Any insight on what would cause this would be great.

Thanks

Bob
sillyme

Postby rob » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:35 am

Its possible you may have discovered a mail that is giving AMS problems, but unfortunatly we need that mail to be able to test AMS to see if it is a bug. If happens again could your save the mail and send it to me: rob@code-crafters.com. I will then see if it is a problem in our code. Of course I should also note that in the past certain antivirus filters which process POP3 and SMTP connections to scan the mails, have been known to cause the POP3 service to fail with ill formatted mails.
rob

Postby sillyme » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm

The day after all these problems started, the power supply went out. It has not happened since the replacement of the power supply.

Bob
sillyme

Postby sillyme » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:05 pm

The 'lock ups' have been happening randomly. But it is now fixed. Last week it got real bad on tuesday the 6th. I noticed that when the timer on the status page would stop changing I could leave it alone for 30-60 minutes and it start counting again. Download test on the broadband were fine but when I tested the upload speed they were between 13 and 60K, yes slower than dialup, lol.

Because it was only the upload speeds that were affected it took three hours on the phone to convince them there was a problem and then three days for them to fix it. I was told it was noise on the line and they had to go pole to pole to locate it.
sillyme

Return to General