Using AMS just for POP3 collection only ?

Using AMS just for POP3 collection only ?

Postby robertlee » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:32 am

I have tested AMS on MX domains, works really well, I am now trying to using AMS purely for POP3 retrive purpose.

For example :

I have one domain http://www.mydomain.com hosted with a hosting company, currently collecting via POP3, what I would like to do is to have AMS collect these messages onto a local Windows 2000 machine, then the local users will collect from AMS instead of from the hosting company.

This is where I got confused, when setting up AMS, it asks for primary domain, should i enter http://www.mydomain.com ?

After these stages, it then ask for 'Add domain ?'

I am just wondering what the correct way should be, as the main domain (http://www.mycomain.com) is currently hosted elsewhere, so if I want to use AMS for collecting POP3 emails then sent them to local users, how best to di it ?
robertlee

Re: Using AMS just for POP3 collection only ?

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:41 am

The Primary Domain should be any domain that points to your mail server IP. This is used for server identification for SMTP etc.

For POP3 retrievals you have 2 options really:

1) If all mail is stored in a single catch all account on your ISP, then you can use an automatic POP3 retrieval (Services->POP3 Retreivals) and choose to redistribute based on the header fields. In this case you must either replicate the remote domain and users on AMS or use an alias domain to translate the email addresses to a different domain (e.g. user1@mydomain.com translates to user1@localdomain.com).
2) If all mail is stored in many accounts on the ISP, then you will need to configure user POP3 retrievals for local users (User settings) on your mail server separately.

In both cases, the POP3 retrievals service must be enabled.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Mon May 18, 2009 6:29 am

Hi,

I use AMS for the same purpose and almost the same way. For this i have replicated each account as they are on the hosting account.

and all mail is stored in many accounts (as in your point 2). But i have not configured pop3 retr.. in user settings but i have done it for every user in services>pop3 retreivals (as in your point 1) because this way AMS automatically downloads the emails. if i do it as per your suggestion (point 2) then the retreival starts on user end trigger not automatically. Is my understanding correct? AND Is my setting correct or should i use the way you suggested?

I have another question:
same email was sent to 3-4 accounts on my hosting account .. the email had attachments and the size was almost 4MB. This email was stuck on the server and AMS was not able to download through pop3 for all these accounts. I know from past experience that some times large emails are stuck on my hosting provider and before i used AMS (used outlook directly) i could solve this problem by increasing the time delay for server timeout.

1. How can i set the time for server timeouts for pop3 retreivals in AMS.
2. AMS while trying to download the pop3 messages must be getting a time out error. Where can i see that error? In the logs i could just see success/fail and the reason being login details failed... but it did not mention for which account. Plus i had to go and look into logs for the problem. Is there a way that i could be informed automatically that my pop3 retreival is returning error?

Thanks
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 am

Yes, you can use a combination of automatic and user POP3 retrievals for interval based and login based triggers if you like. User POP3 retrievals are more reliable because they deliver direct whereas automatic retrievals rely on the header fields being correct.

1) The timeout is built in but should be sufficient and certainly would cause no problems in this situation as every time a single line of the email is received the timeout is reset. Only if there is no communication for a large amount of time (several minutes) will the connection end from timeout on the AMS side.
2) The logs are showing that the login details for one of your POP3 retrievals is wrong. You can turn on debug logging for POP3 retrievals to see all communication but turn this straight off after one retrieval as this logs all communication including the emails and will quickly generate a lot of log files. You can send me any errors from the logs to chris@code-crafters.com for me to try to pinpoint further detail for you. However, in this case I would recommend that if you haven't many POP3 retrievals simply to edit them in the dialog admin interface settings and use the Test Connection to identify any POP3 retrievals that can't connect and log in correctly.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Tue May 19, 2009 4:41 am

In automatic Pop3 retreivals I have not enabled "mail header delivery" option .. i simply use the "always deliver to address" and because i have retreival set up for all users with the respective address in "always deliver to address" then this should be working fine. If this is not the case then let me know so that i switch to user trigger.

thnx
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 am

This is fine if you want every email from the POP3 retrieval to go to every user in the set list. Sometimes you want to pick up mail from a catch-all ISP mailbox on another mail server and distribute to the appropriate users based on the mail header line recipients.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 am

hI Chris,

I have one question -i set up a pop 3 retreival in services tab. I put in all details but i forgot to add the address in always deliver to addresses and neither did i select enable mail header delivery.

The user obviously did not recveive any mail from pop3. my question is where did AMS put the downloaded email?
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:23 pm

In the admin client if you don't supply a delivery address or enable mail header delivery it will show an error and not let you save it. Which version of AMS are you using and was this remote web admin or the main admin dialog client?
Code Crafters

Return to General