Account is not local, relaying disallowed

Account is not local, relaying disallowed

Postby loki_racer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:41 am

I currently use AMS as a backup solution. However, I am starting to find that it's webmail is much better than my primary mail server's app.

Let's say I have 10 accounts on the main box, and only 1 of those is on the AMS box. When I try to send an email from AMS, I want it to send that to the live box, but since that domain is on AMS, it tries to deliver that internally and gives me "Account is not local, relaying disallowed".

Any way around this?
loki_racer

Re: Account is not local, relaying disallowed

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:08 pm

If you are running a backup mail service to catch mail for domain's when the primary mail server is offline you should do the following setup:

1) Add backup domains for all your primary mail server domains. Specify a limited list of users on that domain if you want more security.
2) Set up static routes for your backup domains to relay direct to your primary mail server when its back online. If you don't want any other authenticated mail to reach the Internet you can set up your main outgoing route to relay direct to your primary mail server. Any unauthenticated mail will never be relayed and will receive the error "Acount is not local, relaying disallowed".

The error "Acount is not local, relaying disallowed" is given by SMTP when a mail for a non-local account is sent without SMTP authentication from the sending mail client. In outlook account settings, you have to go to the More Settings button then Outgoing Server tab to set up logging into the outgoing mail server with the same login details as used for the incoming mail server. Backup domains are automatically authenticated as they are treated as local domains. WebMail also doesn't need authentication since the user is already logged in.
Code Crafters

Postby loki_racer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Ok. Here is what I have.

I have one domain configured in AMS. This is the same domain that is on my main server.

I have one account on this server that is on my main server.

I have outgoing mail enabled. I have relay mode setup and authenticating with my admin account information. I also added a static route with the same authentication information.

Any main I send from AMS to the same domain but to a user not on AMS, doesn't reach the person. I just get the same error email message.
loki_racer

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:53 am

You're over complicating things by having 2 mail servers both trying to run proper accounts. You can't have the actual mails for an account stored on 2 different mail servers. You have to have one as the primary mail server where mails are stored and the other as just a backup mail server that has backup domains and forwards directly to the primary mail server. You also should have MX records for the primary mail server (lowest MX number; highest priority) then backup mail server (higher MX number; lower priority). You should still really try to send outgoing mail via your primary mail server. If you need to send outgoing mail via your backup mail server then you need to set AMS to have static routes for all backup domains but a normal outgoing route using either Independent sending mode or relaying via your ISPs SMTP server.
Code Crafters

Return to General