POP3 Retrieval error

POP3 Retrieval error

Postby dalb » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:57 pm

Hello, I am trying to use POP3 Retrieval to setup an account running off of AMS to retrieve mail from another AMS, however, when I test the account I receive this error from the diagnostics window: "Server yourdomain.com:110 rejected connection with '-ERR Incorrect username and password, please restart from USER.'." Both servers are running on a Windows 2003 Server and port 110 is open on the firewall settings. I have entered the username and password including the user@yourdomain.com as well as just entering the username on its on and still nothing. Any idea?
dalb

Re: POP3 Retrieval error

Postby rob » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Based on the error message, your retrieval seems only to be wrong in the username/password. What I recommend doing, just incase of typing errors, is entering the password you believe is correct, then entering that same password into the user account your trying to access. Another thing to check would be that your connecting to the right instance of AMS (check the host address). If this doesn't help then perhaps more information can be obtained from the pop3retr log files.
rob

Postby dalb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:08 pm

I am definitely entering in the correct password, I made a test account with the password '12345ABC' just to try this out and I am receiving an incorrect password error. This is what the pop3 log says:

Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:29:44 -> x.x.x.x -> Success: Action=[Accept Connection], Details=[Port 110]
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:29:46 -> x.x.x.x -> Failed: Action=[Login], Details=[testacc], Error=[Incorrect password.]
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 11:29:51 -> x.x.x.x -> Success: Action=[Close Connection]

Not sure if having Encrypted Passwords Enabled causes this...
dalb

Postby m1byo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:22 pm

If you are using the correct username and password, but still having problems, check that you are able to log into webmail or another service with this account as I had a very similar problem where a specific user could not log into their account on any of the services, (this was only 1 account and all of the other accounts would continue working).

The only solution to this I found was to restart AMS and then the accounts would work!

I dont know what version AMS you are using, if you are not using 2.62, it may be worth upgrading to this version as the guys have included some features to fix problems with the user information on the system.

I hope this helps.

Ian
m1byo

Postby dalb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:37 pm

The odd part is that this user account is working well with the WebMail as well as the other services except for POP3. I am running AMS v2.57 Enterprise Edition, I also tried reseting the server, however, that did not fix the problem :(. I'm going to keep trying to work this out, thanks for the help.
dalb

Postby dalb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:18 pm

I just upgraded to v2.61 and I am still receiving the same error: Incorrect username and password. I've restarted Windows 2003, restarted AMS, tried disabling and then re-enabling the POP3 service and yet I am unable to retrieve anything when entering the correct account information. Any ideas?
dalb

Postby m1byo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:20 am

The only other thing I could think of would be a very simple one! ... you are inputting the password in the correct case each time??? (it is a trap I fall into!!!)

I hope this helps

Ian
m1byo

Postby rob » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:09 pm

One thing to check would be that you have permitted POP3 access for that user, and this is controlled from the group settings the user is associated with. Ecnrypted passwords should make no difference as this encryption is removed when loaded into memory. Another trick you could perform (to verify the right password is getting through) is enable DEBUG logging in the logging settings for POP3 server. You will then be able to see exactly what username/password are being used. Then you could try the same access from your mail client on POP3 and see if that is sucessfull too. If the problem persists, then please send me your remote admin login details to rob@code-crafters.com and I will be happy to examine your settings and logs.
rob

Postby dalb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm

After checking out the Group settings I realized that "Only allow secure logins" had been enabled. When I unchecked it, I was able to finally retrieve my mail via POP3. The problem was that I had been trying to retrieve mail from a POP3 server whose SSL certificate had been expired (test server), which is why the connection was successful after disabling "Only allow secure logins". I simply created an updated dummy certificate for the test server and it seems to have resolved this issue. Thanks for all of the replies, you guys have been very helpful.
dalb

Return to General