Outgoing Mail Very Slow

Outgoing Mail Very Slow

Postby sahklh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:14 am

Hi,

I have server hosting 50+ domains and am having an issue with outbound mail taking up to an hour to send out an email. I can see the file in queue, and I know the server the email is being sent to is up and getting email. I look at detailed logs for the outgoing mail, and see no info for the mail sitting in queue until it is sent. Is there something I can look at to see why this is such a delay? I am running 2.60 of Ability.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks for your help.

Scott
sahklh

Re: Outgoing Mail Very Slow

Postby aluisi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:42 am

I had the same issue. I worked for over 3+ hours checking ports for the smtp the server everything possible. I then started turning on and off the spam filtering. I found out that is the gray listing SPAM service that is causing the issues. Turn off gray listing and i guarantee you won't have this issue again.
aluisi

Postby sahklh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks for the info. But I do not have grey listing enabled. I will play with the SPAM settings. I have the bypass spam on relay option enabled, so I would hope it is not the spam checking. Let me know what you think.

Scott
sahklh

Postby rob » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:05 pm

I can't think of any obvious reason for the slow down but I would expect to find a reason in the log files. Of course if the outgoing mail queue is saturated with a large number of mails then this could cause delays. Another possibility is that your outgoing mail service settings are configured to reduce the number of allowed outgoing connections. If so this may need increasing to accomodate the number of mails you have. If you would like me to examine your settings and logs then please send me your remote admin details to rob@code-crafters.com.
rob

Postby sahklh » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:13 am

It seems that when we have a large number if SMTP connections, 50+ the servers take longer to process the outbound queue. The outbound queue would only go up to 2-3 and we would have thousand of NDRs queued. We have put a SPAM server in front of the Ability to reduce the connections and now it is lighting fast.

Scott
sahklh

Postby sillyme » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 pm

I had a very similar problem. An additional issue is that the download of new mail to clients was also slow.

The problem was the upload portion of my broadband connection.

See my posting on this with some speed test sites here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110&p=336#p336
sillyme

Postby williamgile » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Scott said....

"It seems that when we have a large number if SMTP connections, 50+ the servers take longer to process the outbound queue. The outbound queue would only go up to 2-3 and we would have thousand of NDRs queued. We have put a SPAM server in front of the Ability to reduce the connections and now it is lighting fast.

Scott"

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a SPAM server we could implement on our side. We are getting hammered with spam and it is causing our AMS so run very slow.
williamgile

Return to General