Account is not local, relaying disallowed.

Account is not local, relaying disallowed.

Postby markeboyle » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:52 am

I keep getting error trying to send email from AMS to an Exchange box on the same LAN.

I have AMS setup for "Outgoing Mails" + "Static Routes" + "Enable Static Routes" and i've added the internal domain to use Relay Mode and when I "Test Outgoing Route" it reports "Completed, no errors found". Yet I continue to receive the error "Account is not local, relaying disallowed."

I use my client account for SMTP secured mail and it works for all other external domains but I can't get this email to work internally. Any help is appreciated?
markeboyle

Re: Account is not local, relaying disallowed.

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:37 am

This error indicates that you have SMTP authentication enabled in Ability Mail Server (which you definitely should have for security) but haven't configured your mail client (e.g. outlook) to log into the outgoing mail server for authentication. In outlook account settings, press the More Settings button and go to the Outgoing Server tab to configure the account to log into the outgoing mail server with the same username and password as used for the incoming mail server.
Code Crafters

Postby markeboyle » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Yes, I have that setting already on. Notice that email to external domains work fine, just not this internal relay. Since the relay tests fine I'm not sure who/why this error is getting generated.
markeboyle

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:20 am

When emails are delivered, any local addresses are delivered first and removed from the delivery list of the email. After that if any non-local external email addresses still exist then the mail is checked for having relaying access via SMTP authentication and other settings on the SMTP Relaying Access tab of the settings. If the email hasn't been given relaying access by these options then the mail can't relay and fails with this reason.

Please double check that you have set up your mail client to log into the outgoing mail server separately to the incoming mail server and if the relay mail server needs authentication that you have provided the username / password needed for that in the static route relay settings. If you want me to check your settings please send me your mail server domain, remote admin port (remote admin settings) and remote admin username / password (general settings) to chris@code-crafters.com and I'll check for any obvious problems.
Code Crafters

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:47 am

To feedback information on the solution to this for the rest of the forum readers, it turned out after checking settings that markeboyle had a domain on his Ability Mail Server for a couple of users but also had other users on that domain hosted on another mail server. When trying to send to the users on that domain on the other mail server, delivery failed with the error "Account is not local, relaying disallowed" because he had ticked the option "Do Not Try to Relay Mails Addressed to Non-Existent Users" in the domain settings on Ability Mail Server for that domain and this option prevents mails for locally non-existent users on this domain being allowed to relay externally since all users for the same domain are usually hosted on the same mail server and normally you wouldn't want to relay if they didn't exist on the mail server hosting that domain.
Code Crafters

Return to General