certain types of email dont send

certain types of email dont send

Postby tdbatch » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi,
I have ability mail server set up on server 2003, i have set up the dns and mx records.
however, if i compose a new email and simply type the email address in the mail appears to send but is not received by the addressee, i am able to receive email and if i click reply and send the email is sent and received, the test email account is a hotmail address.

i have disabled all the filters in case this was an issue but the problem still remains, i am yet to set up virus filtering as i wanted to eliminate any possibility that a filter system is blocking the mail but i am still having the problem.
has anyone else encountered this problem?
tdbatch

Re: certain types of email dont send

Postby rob » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:12 pm

This sounds like hotmail is blocking and junking the newly composed mails. This generally happens when mails from your server are close to being suspected as SPAM (which can be deduced from a combination of things such as IP, domain name, mail content...etc.). Often a simple trick to do is to reroute your outbound mail (either all or setup a static route for hotmail) through your ISP. This will appear to change your domains IP which is the most common reason why mail to such mail services is blocked (they tend not to like dynamic IPs).
rob

Re: certain types of email dont send

Postby tdbatch » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:04 pm

thank you, it would appear your right, last week i had problems where there was no incoming or outgoing email traffic and i was using hotmail to test send and receive so perhaps they picked up on that and interpretted it as spam.

many thanks again
Terry
tdbatch

Return to General