SMTP connection Problem

SMTP connection Problem

Postby mtc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:39 am

I m having conection error problem.i am using ability mail server 2.57. I cannot send email to certain users at hotmail.com,docomo.ne.jp,yahoo.co.jp,yahoo.com etc. Other private domains are OK. AS going through the server log files i got the following message

Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:50:53 -> Success: Action=[MX Lookup], Details=[DNS=Using automatically detected DNS's, Domain=docomo.ne.jp: Found 1 records]
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:50:55 -> Failed: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=yahoo.com, Host=b.mx.mail.yahoo.com:25, IP=66.196.97.250: Connection failed.]

Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:52:40 -> Success: Action=[MX Lookup], Details=[DNS=Using automatically detected DNS's, Domain=hotmail.com: Found 4 records]
Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:53:01 -> Failed: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=hotmail.com, Host=mx4.hotmail.com:25, IP=65.54.244.104: Connection failed.]

POP is ok with all
suggestions/assistance is requested
thanks
mtc

Re: SMTP connection Problem

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 am

The first thing to do is to ensure that SMTP authentication is enabled so that you don't get unauthorised relaying of SPAM through your mail server. The main cause of this though is that big domain hosts like hotmail, aol and yahoo are very strict on the source of emails and they particularly don't like dynamic or ISP assigned IP addresses and will block based solely on this basis. To avoid this issue simply relay your mail (all or setup a static route for the domains affected) via your ISPs SMTP server which will be trusted and the mail will be accepted. We relay all our mail via our ISPs SMTP for the same reason.
Code Crafters

Postby mtc » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:50 am

thankyou very much for quick response.How can i setup static route.I have tried to use smtp of yahooBB using existing mail account but it works fine with outlook express but not with mail server. The error message is "pop before smtp AUth Error".Is there any way to by-passing .OR i should buy a smtp relay service.

thanks
mtc
mtc

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am

You should set up SMTP authentication for account login with existing users and not really use POP3 Before SMTP pre-authentication unless you need to. You can set up static routes in the outgoing mail settings using the domain (e.g. hotmail.com) and relay mode using your ISP's SMTP server domain, port 25 usually and any login details needed to relay via your ISP (not always needed). Use the Test Outgoing Route button to check that your settings can correctly relay.
Code Crafters

Return to General