Problem Logging into SMTP

Problem Logging into SMTP

Postby dennisas » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:05 am

We had spammers using our email server and I need to stop them. I review the site and believe that I need to Enable SMTP Authentication. But with this enabled I cannot log in. I check the group setting to make sure that SMTP Authentication is allow. I assume that the user id is the ability mail user id and that the password is the ability mail password (the same as for incoming mail). What am I doing wrong?

Best regards,

Dennis A. Smith
dennisas

Re: Problem Logging into SMTP

Postby rob » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:35 am

It is quite important that you do secure your SMTP in some way as SPAM-ers generally constantly probe your system. Once you enable SMTP authentication, by default the username and password required to login into the SMTP/outgoing server is the same as your POP3/IMAP4 username and password. A common reason why this could fail is that you have a cisco router and have enabled the SMTP security option, which effectively disables the ability to login. If you would like to create me a account and send me me your IP/host and the login details to rob@code-crafters.com, I will be happy to test your system to see if this could be caused by anything else.
rob

Re: Problem Logging into SMTP

Postby dennisas » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:51 pm

Rob,

I sent you an email from my yahoo account with the login information.

Thank you for the help!

Dennis A. Smith
dennisas

Return to General