Backup Domain

Backup Domain

Postby kvarga » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:38 am

This past weekend my primary Exchange server was down so it could be moved to a new location. I used the Ability Mail Server as a backup. After reviewing the server logs I can see that emails where delivered throughout the weekend. Now my primiary mail server is backup online but none of the emails that where delivered during the downtime have been downloaded by Exchange. I have verified that Exchange is configure correctly to download emails from my Ability Mail Server. I also tested the backup by sending an email to the backup domain using telnet and it was succesfully downloaded by Exchange. Where are the backup emails stored? Are there any limits for how long they are stored?

Regards,
Kevin
kvarga

Re: Backup Domain

Postby rob » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:56 am

This depends on how your backup mail server was setup. Usually the backup systems is that the mails are stored in the outgoing mail queue, and AMS (the back up server in this case) will continually attempt to redliever the mails direct to the primary (this is normally acheived by ensuring a static route is created to route the mails correctly). This method however does have a time limit, and I believe the default is a few hours. This of coures is adjustable and for backups the idea is to extend it by a few days. If you didn't then its very possible that the mails were failed and failure notices were returned to the senders.

However, you refer to Exchange attempting to download the mail, which makes me believe did you setup a user and store the mails? If so then the mails would be located within the user's inbox.
rob

Return to General