Imap not seeing new mail

Imap not seeing new mail

Postby rossplews » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:03 am

Hi all,

I am running 2.61and having an issue with imap. I have used thunderbird and windows mail client and both have the same error. What I see is new mails are not listed via imap. If i go to the web interface then they are there.

Anyone else seeing this?

Ross
rossplews

Re: Imap not seeing new mail

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:12 am

IMAP4 and WebMail should view the same mails. IMAP4 has a protocol whereby new mails are informed to it from the mail server so it should show them as soon as they are delivered too. We have had no other reports of this happening. Make sure that Mozilla is pointing at the correct mail server and account. Its also possible that some firewall, router, antivirus or anti-SPAM software is intercepting the IMAP4 commands from the mail server and altering them causing this problem. Try eliminating these to see if that solves the problem.
Code Crafters

Postby rossplews » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:47 am

I have tried imap clients on the server with the same results. Anti virus is running but not checking mail. Anti spam is Ability Mail Server only. No router problem as on the same server. Local windows firewall is off as I am behind a h/w firewall.

I have used AMserver for several years now and had no problems. I am a bit stuck with this and will investigate further tonight when I get home. This is on my home server.

Ross
rossplews

Postby rossplews » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi all,

I have tried to work this out but I am stumped. The imap clients are not seeing any new mail today but did manage to see some from yesterday. It's like there is a time delay.

I generated a config report.

* Ability Mail Server 2.61 Setup Report *

This report is intended only to provide a minimal outline of the mail servers settings. Therefore, most of the settings are not shown.

General

Account Directory: "config\accounts\"
Primary Domain: bigfoot.com
Admin Email Address: admin@bigfoot.com
ODBC Mode: Disabled
Listen on IP: All IPs
Max Mail Size (KB): 102400
Max Account Size (KB): 2048000

Logging

Enabled
Auto-Delete: Disabled
Log Size (KB): 50

Accounts

Group Count: 1
Shared Address Book Count: 0
Domain Count: 1 (5 Max)
User Count: 3 (25 Max)
Mailing List Count: 0

Content Filtering

Enabled
Rules: 1

Antivirus Filtering

Disabled

Outgoing Mail

Enabled
Queue Life (Mins): 180
Resend Delay (Mins): 10
Max Queue Size: 5000
Max Connections: 20
Method: Independent
Use DNS's: Auto-detect
Static Routes: 0

SMTP

Enabled
Listen on Port: 25
Listen on IP: Same as General
Implicit SSL Port: Disabled
IP Restrictions: None
Max Connections: 200
Max Recipients per Mail: 128
Max Hop Count: 50
Relay Security SMTP Auth: Enabled
Relay Security IP Restrictions: Disabled
SPAM Protection RBL: Disabled
SPAM Protection Bayesian: Enabled
SPAM Protection SPF: Enabled

POP3 Retrievals

Enabled
Max Queue Size: 500
Max Connections: 20
Max Hop Count: 50
SPAM White List: Disabled
SPAM Black List: Disabled
Bayesian Filtering: Enabled (Automatic Retrievals Only)
Poll Frequency (Mins): 10
Automatic POP3 Retrievals: 1

POP3

Disabled

IMAP4

Enabled
Listen on Port: 143

WebMail

Enabled
Listen on Port: 8000
Max Sessions: 2000
Default Template Directory: "webmailenhanced\original\"
Domain Specific Template Count: 0
Automatic Sign-ups: Disabled

LDAP

Disabled

Remote Admin

Enabled
Listen on Port: 9000

Any ideas please?

Ross
rossplews

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 am

The first thing I noticed here is that you have 8 MX records for your primary domain (bigfoot.com), none of which point at your Abiltiy Mail Server. I therefore assume that the mail server they all do point to (LiteMail v3.03) is forwarding mail to your Ability Mail Server and this could be causing the problem. Another point is that your primary domain is bigfoot.com which also doesn't point to your Ability Mail Server. Note that if your website is hosted at bigfoot.com, your mail server should be on something like mail.bigfoot.com which should point to your Ability Mail Server and also be your primary domain and highest priority (lowest number) MX record. You said that new mail was still visible via WebMail but I am willing to guess that new mail simply isn't making it to your mail server properly because of these issues.
Code Crafters

Postby rossplews » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.
I am using AMserver to be a local post office in my house allowing me to pop3 retrieve my mail from bigfoot.com.
I have several pc at home and this allows me to have a consistent email solution from any of them. Also I can access my email from outside my house via the web interface. I also like the anti spam which is much better than my bigfoot provider as I can teach it myself. I don't have a domain name myself and thus I used bigfoot.com.

Is there anything I should be changing to get AMserver to work more simply as I know my setup is very simple as AMserver is just serving my house. When I send mail out I want the bigfoot.com mail address in the reply and from fields.

As you can probably tell I am not an email sysadmin :)

Rgds...Ross
rossplews

Postby rossplews » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Chris,

Also the new mail is visable from AMS web mail so I know it has got to the server.

Rgds...Ross
rossplews

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Your primary domain should be any domain that points to your mail server's IP to prevent other mail servers blocking you as a SPAM source via reverse DNS lookup checks. It doesn't even matter if it's not a domain hosted on your mail server as long as it has the IP (A record) of your mail server. You can use any domain as below.

domain.com
MX = mail.domain.com

mail.domain.com
A = mail server IP address

If WebMail can see the mail then its there and it must be your mail client setup or firewall / router problems that is preventing the mail from showing in your mail client. As I said, antivirus software can often intercept and intefere with IMAP4 communication so try turning any mail scanning off for any antivirus software running on your mail server and client computers.
Code Crafters

Return to General