Backing up Messages? Any ideas?

Backing up Messages? Any ideas?

Postby KrisC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:05 am

Hi, want to pose a question and brainstorm on this topic. I have a full enterprise version of AMS and want to backup message from accounts on the fly. For a monthly archive of each account, i don't care if i backup spam either because most of thats eliminated. I only have about 30+ accounts on AMS so its not a storage hog. But here's what im thinking and would enjoy any feedback and suggestions. Creating another domain on the AMS server such a-backup.com (obviously to back up a.com, which is hosted on AMS as well) and having the messages copy over to that domain from a.com and then backing up the account directory from the AMS folders (or where ever i choose to place the backup domains physical accounts) I would wipe clean those backup accounts clean through the backup program every 30 days. Does anyone else have any suggestions or better ways of doing this? Hope this makes some sense :)

Thanks
Kris
KrisC

Re: Backing up Messages? Any ideas?

Postby rob » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:06 am

Your backup idea seems sound and of course has the benifit of only backing up newly received mails. What other users tend to do is use file backup software which simply creates a backup of the AMS installation folder. However, on ideas on how to improve your method, nothing comes to mind at the moment. In the future we do of course plan our own automated backup system but we have no set date for this yet.
rob

Return to General