Blocking "not read" receipts

Blocking "not read" receipts

Postby mcknet » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:59 am

I've noticed receipts going out with subjects starting "Not read:" in response to junk e-mails that were deleted without being read. I'm sure the e-mail addresses they were sent to were forged, so the recipient of the receipt didn't ask for them in the first place. This is just like receiving those "undeliverable" messages from those mail servers set up to send e-mail to the forged from address on all those junk e-mails or those antispam filters that send nasty responses to the forged from address that the spam was not wanted. I hate those!

I looked at the content filter and its options, but didn't find anything I thought seemed perfect for this job. I want to block only the "Not read:" receipts from going out, but not the read receipts or delivery receipts or any incoming mail. I don't necessarily want to assume nobody will ever send a legit e-mail with "Not read:" in the subject. I know about the options in Outlook, but I can't tell everyone to turn them off.

Any suggestions?
mcknet

Re: Blocking "not read" receipts

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am

Unfortunately, the read receipt confirmation mails do not go through content filtering since they are internally generated. Also, the system is intended to inform if a genuine mail is "Not Read" and therefore will send this conformation for any deleted mail with no distinction in the current version for the mail being deleted as junk or otherwise. However, I'll forward your suggestion for Deleted junk mails to not trigger the Not Read confirmation email and hopefully we can resolve this issue in a future version.
Code Crafters

Postby mcknet » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:51 pm

chris wrote:Unfortunately, the read receipt confirmation mails do not go through content filtering since they are internally generated.

I'm assuming you're talking about WebMail generating those internally? What about people using Outlook? Wouldn't the receipts generated by Outlook go through the content filter?
mcknet

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 am

I checked into this a little more to verify the source of the problem and realised that the Not Read emails must have been from your outlook and not WebMail so my apologies for misunderstanding that initially. Only outlook can stop the Not Read emails but if outlook sends them through your Ability Mail Server then of course you can create a content filter rule to filter out the mails based on any number of conditions. If you let me know what conditions you want to use to filter out these emails in english terms I'll tell you what conditions and logic operators you need to use in the content filter system.
Code Crafters

Return to General