AMS and W2K8

AMS and W2K8

Postby PBCliberal » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Last I checked, I saw people successfully running AMS on W2K8, but it wasn't officially supported. Today I get no search results for windows server 2008 for AMS (I see there are issues with AFS), but also see its not yet supported. What might I expect if I move a mail server off of an old tired 2000 server onto 2008 x86?
PBCliberal

Re: AMS and W2K8

Postby PBCliberal » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:30 am

As a followup, I bit the bullet and moved from Windows 2000 Server to 2008 Server by the general method described in the FAQ. Other than having to hand create a path through the firewall for the mail server, it just came up and ran. With good DNS planning, I don't think anyone who missed the memo is any the wiser.

And the code seems real happy running on a DuoCore with tons of memory coming from a slower Celeron.
PBCliberal

Re: AMS and W2K8

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:20 am

Ability Mail Server will run on Windows 2008. The issues are with the way that the user interfaces work. The dialog admin interface normally leaves an icon in the system tray to access it but on Windows 2008 does not. Instead you can usually start the dialog admin interface from the start menu program group. If this doesn't work then remote admin will still work fine to allow you to edit all the settings. All that is missing from remote admin is some of the diagnostic tools but usually these aren't needed. We are planning to fix this issue in AMS3 which will have a sepearate service for the application then another separate application for the dialog user interface which will also become remote installable to administrate the mail server using the main admin interface from any location. There will also be a service watchdog to restart the application if it stops working for any reason. Unfortunately, AMS3 may be some time in development with the size of the project being almost a full rewrite of the mail server but hopefully we aim to release this sometime next year.
Code Crafters

Return to General