substituting sender IP

substituting sender IP

Postby allengcs » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 pm

We have a lot of users that connect to our mail server via encrypted connection and send email. I'm having a problem though with SPF because spf wants to know all of the valid IP's that a sender might send email from. What I want to do is have the ability mail server substitute the mail servers ip (domain) for the senders IP when they are LOGGED IN to the mail server (no relay). So if I'm sending email from some random IP while on the road, as long as I am logged in and authenticated, it should send the email and use the domains IP as the sender IP. Is there any way to do this with ability mail?
allengcs

Re: substituting sender IP

Postby rob » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:12 am

When Ability Mail Server relays a mail, it of coures uses its own IP as the client IP, which is what a remote server with SPF should use. Of course its possible that a remote server might used the 'Received' lines to check every IP the mail has passed through, and so if this is hte case you can hide the IP of authenticated uses within the SMTP security settings. This should ensure only 1 IP is available for checking.
rob

Return to General