SMTP internal error

SMTP internal error

Postby pamsnet » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Please Help me!! I am trying to migrate my Ability Mail to a new server. I have copied over the directory and added the firewall rules and everything is working fine EXCEPT - using SMTP authentication (same settings as my incoming mail server) produces this error:

Send test e-mail message: Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

SMTP works ok without authentication ?
pamsnet

Re: SMTP internal error

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:04 am

This error is from your mail client and not Ability Mail Server so its not straight forward to see what the problem is from this. If connections are working without SMTP authentication with outlook then check the logs for Ability Mail Server (POP3, IMAP4 and SMTP as appropriate for the type of account you're using) to see what errors are given by Ability Mail Server which I can then use to explain the problem.
Code Crafters

Postby pamsnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Chris

I will take what ever help you can give me. After working with it some more last night - I think I need to rephrase my question -

The real quesion is How do I test the SMTP side of the Ability Mail Server without changing my MX records. I can use the IP address and connect to the POP3 side - that works..I can use the IP address and get the webmail site to respond.

But just using the IP address for the outgoing mail server (with authentication turned on) does not seem to work. There are no errors logging during the tests available in tools. But I REALLY want to be sure before I change my MX/DNS record for the entire company.
pamsnet

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 am

If you can connect to POP3 on port 110, you should be able to connect to SMTP on port 25 and test the connections there. Note that via telnet doing ESMTP is near impossible so you'd need a client for that. The best thing to do is to enable debug logging (Logging settings) for SMTP in Ability Mail Server, connect to it via the IP with outlook and then let me know what the SMTP logs show for this. You may prefer to email me these at chris@code-crafters.com to avoid publicly displaying potentially personal information such as the email addresses used in the tests or your mail server domains. Note also that you should use the authentication options via the More Settings - Outgoing Server tab. Once you have this working via an IP, you can update your MX records to route your real mail via Ability Mail Server.
Code Crafters

Return to General