msn, hotmail server rejection

msn, hotmail server rejection

Postby gabe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:44 am

Hi. We are a new user running XP Pro. The only thing on this server is Ability Mail Sever, Ability FTP server and Norton Antivirus. We are hosting numerous domains and many of my customers' emails are being refused by the hotmail/msn servers. The rejection is:

Rejected with: 550 SC-002 Mail rejected by
Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. The mail server IP connecting to
Windows Live Hotmail has exhibited namespace mining behavior. If you are not
an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Ser

Has anyone seen this or does anyone know the cause or solution for this. I really need some help. Thank you.
gabe

Re: msn, hotmail server rejection

Postby rob » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:53 am

This has cropped up once before in my expierence, and recently too. Basically from what I remember, the user had no setup problems and by all rights the mail should have gone to hotmail without issue. I would recommend contacting hotmail and verifying what exactly it is your doing wrong and, hopefully, get your server/IP to avoid this rejection. Alternatively, you could create a static route for hotmail and msn which reroutes mail to those domains via your ISP's SMTP, and so avoiding any issues related to your IP.
rob

Postby gabe » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:55 pm

I've tried getting help from Hotmail. Their response was to send me via email a form that required more technical info than I have and of course they are all required fields. Being a small niche market ISP we don't have that level of technical expertise. The server does have a static IP address. Is there a method of assigning static IPs to the individual domains being hosted? That way we could put that address in the MX record and to see if that works.
gabe

Postby rob » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

I would recommend setting the MX records to all use that static IP (the host address of it, or create a sub domain for each domain which points to that IP) and then also set the primary domain in the general settings to also match this (use one of the sub domains which converts to this IP). Of coures you could still redirect your hotmail traffic through your ISP in an attempt to aviod any IP related blocking.
rob

Return to General