Content filtering outgoing emails

Content filtering outgoing emails

Postby talha » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:03 pm

i need to setup two rules and have one question:

1. for every outgoing email i want ability to send me an email with my predefined body.

Currently i have applied this Condition: sender exists locally. Action: send email.
My action is working perfectly fine but there is a problem with condition it is activated whenever the sender exists locally while i wanted it to trigger only when an email is sent. for e.g. one sender sends an email with 3 local users in cc. then this filter is triggered 4 times one when the email is sent and thrice when the email is received by the 3 cc'd users. What condition should i apply?

2. I want a copy of all outgoing emails to be sent to backup addresseses. I have made gmail addresses for each user. So do i have to create a separate rule for each user or can i do this in one rule.

3. In the conditions:
SMTP sender is the user sending email .. right?
what is SMTP hostname ?

Thanks in advance.
talha

Re: Content filtering outgoing emails

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am

1. Use the preset content filter rule Send Copy of Outgoing Mail as an example for the condition for outgoing mail then just change the action as appropriate.

2. Again use the preset content filter rule Send Copy of Outgoing Mail and just add all addresses into a single rule for copies to many addresses.

3. SMTP Sender is like the From Header except that this is the actual sender given in the SMTP envelope of the SMTP conversation not from the mail headers; much like the SMTP recipients are the actual recipients and the headers are just for the end user to see when reading the mail.

The SMTP hostname is the name of the mail server (or client) sending the mail to Ability Mail Server. This is usually used for SPAM checks and also inserted in the Received header line to show the route the mail has taken to get to its destination.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 pm

HI again,

1 & 2. The preset filter says when "all recipients do not exist locally" but i want this for each and every email even if it is addressed to local account.

2. "... just add all addresses into a single rule for copies to many addresses ..." how? this is what i want: all emails sent by talha@rasheedsons.net must be forwarded to talha@gmail.com (for example) and all emails from omeir@rasheedsons.net must be forwarded to omeir@gmail.com... whether they were sent to local accounts or external addresses. (similarly for 1)

thanks.
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm

The condition "all recipients do not exist locally" is a way of saying that the mail is for external and not local delivery. You can also change this to Any Recipients to catch mails for both outgoing email with possibly local email addresses too.

You can setup content filter rules for general mail duplication using the action Send Copy To to make copies for other addresses. However, for a few local email accounts you can also use user redirections with Still Deliver Locally ticked to send copies to other addresses.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:26 am

I cant seem to find how to change the condition from "all recipients do not exist locally" to "any recipients" it gives me an option of selecting either "exists locally" or "does not exist locally".

redirections are for incoming emails which i am already using .. i was asking about outgoing emails. ... now i am creating a separate rule for each user account like this:

condition: "smtp sender matches: talha@rasheedsons.net" action: "send copy to: talha@gmail.com"

Like wise for each user
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:56 am

There are options for Sender, Any Recipient or All Recipients as well as Exists Locally and Does Not Exist Locally. As for your other rule you must use CONTAINS not MATCHES for the condition to trigger correctly when multiple recipients exist.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Mon May 04, 2009 8:56 am

yes there are options but i have to select one exists locally OR does not exist locally ... i cannot just say any recipients (including both local and non-local). I guess i can add two conditions: 1. any recipients exists locally + OR 2. any recipients does not exist locally ....

I have another query now: :)

in content filtering action when i use add recipient it merely adds a recipient to that email - for e.g. an email sent by talha@out.com to in@in.com .. will have another recipient added "copy@copy.com" in the same email. correct?

But if i use "send copy to" action the ams will create the exact same email message again and will send the copy to the specified address. What will be the smtp sender for this copy?
I am asking because the emails generated through content filtering are not going out they are in the queue with this message:
reason=Rejected with: 550 SMTP Envelope Sender must be valid
mail to all other mail recipients are delivered but stuck just for the addresses in content filtering.

However if i change the smtp to my isp's which is open and does not have any checks the mail clears the queue.
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Mon May 04, 2009 12:02 pm

a) Note that with the following:

1. any recipients exists locally + OR 2. any recipients does not exist locally

The any recipients exist locally or don't exists locally will basically be the same as saying All Emails condition as every email has at least one recipient which obviously either exists or doesn't exist locally so this condition will trigger for every email.

b) As for copying the email, you are right that Add Recipient simply adds a recipient to the current email but Send Copy To creates a new copy of the email to the new recipients. However, this should use the SMTP sender of the original email and therefore be valid automatically. You can also set the SMTP sender with a further action but this shouldn't be necessary. The only emails that normally have no SMTP sender are mail notifications (such as delivery failures) and mailing list emails which have no return address to avoid bounce backs. In a future update we intend to add a facility to allow a bounce back reply SMTP sender to be used to remove addresses that aren't deliverable.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Mon May 04, 2009 12:46 pm

right thnx i understand now...

But what do about this problem?
"....I am asking because the emails generated through content filtering are not going out they are in the queue with this message:
reason=Rejected with: 550 SMTP Envelope Sender must be valid
mail to all other mail recipients are delivered but stuck just for the addresses in content filtering.

However if i change the smtp to my isp's which is open and does not have any checks the mail clears the queue...."

is this and the issue in the PM are related?
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 am

If you send your contentfiltering.ini to chris@code-crafters.com I'll have a look what might be going wrong. Also check that the emails in the outgoing mail queue are the ones generated by content filtering and not others from mailing lists or mail notifications. For some reason private messaging via the forum isn't sending properly for my user account so please send any questions to chris@code-crafters.com or the forum.
Code Crafters

Return to General