RDP not showing tray icons

RDP not showing tray icons

Postby votan » Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 pm

I wonder if this is just a settings thing.... when I sit in front of the server and log in as Administrator, it shows the AMS icon in the system tray and I can access it. Tray icons also show up when I use RAdmin and also log in as Administrator. But as soon as I use the build in windows RDP and also log in as Administrator, the AMS tray icon does not show up anymore nor is it in the list of active tasks. How to set it so, that I really see the current desktep of the Administrator as seen when using Radmin or sitting right in front of the machine?
votan

Re: RDP not showing tray icons

Postby Code Crafters » Tue May 19, 2009 12:55 pm

The tray icon is user specific so you may have to configure the AMS service to log in as the account you're using for the remote desktop to get the icon to show. It's also possible that the icon just won't be available in this mode. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and right click Properties on the AMS service in the list to edit logging in with a specific administrator priveleged user account that will be used with the with remote desktop.
Code Crafters

Postby m1byo » Wed May 20, 2009 8:24 pm

you also need to connect using the console switch when you load up RDP to make sure you are on the same session as you would access from a local login as the icon is not shown in a normal RDP session.

you can do this using either mstsc -console or mstsc /admin (xp sp3 / vista)

I hope this helps
m1byo

Postby votan » Fri May 22, 2009 9:41 am

Yes, thanx. :)
But I just decided to get a RAdmin license-pack for all my servers. Tested it and I like it way more than RDP. Especially sorting, accessing and storing your connections is way more cofortable.
votan

Return to General