spf record fail on local send

spf record fail on local send

Postby allengcs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 am

I have 'hide ip' set in the smtp server for my mail server. This works fine for everything except people sending email locally. When I send email from mydomain.com to someotherdomain.com and I send it from my laptop while away from the office (ie, over verizon wireless connection) then it goes fine because hide ip makes my spf record for them check out. However, when I send mail from mydomain.com to another user in mydomain.com then the ip hiding doesn't seem to happen and the local spf record check blocks the email. How can I fix this???
allengcs

Re: spf record fail on local send

Postby rob » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:23 am

This depends on your setup, if your laptop is still using AMS to send emails (ie. its configured within the client settings to connect AMS for the SMTP) then this shouldn't be possible due. I would recommend checking that yuor laptop as relaying permissions and that your SPAM settings within AMS are configured to ignore mail from relaying sources. If your laptop uses an external server though (such as your ISP) to send mail, then your SPF records need to reflect this, which means setting it on the DNS so that your ISP SMTP is on the allow list.
rob

Postby allengcs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:17 pm

my laptop is using outlook that sends the mail to abilityserver. I have SPF check turned on. I can't add my laptop to the spf records because as I travel the ip changes constantly. Now this isn't a problem for external email because I turn HIDE IP on and it stamps my email coming from AMS to external sources with the right domain ip. However, AMS itself does the spf check from me sending to my own domain through AMS and fails the spf check. This seems like a bug because it should not do the spf check if I am authenticated against AMS smtp (but it does).
allengcs

Postby rob » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:19 pm

It would appear I misread your original post. Your laptop is the one that works fine and its the other computers that have an issue. The problem could simply be that your other computers are not authenticating correctly and so not gaining relaying permissions, either by a setup mistake or due to a firewall/router. To send mail locally only you of course dont need to authenticate, but the SPF records will be enabled (you can verify this by checkign the logs to see if the connection attempts to send the mail are authenticated). I recommend ensuring that SMTP Authentication is enabled in your SMTP relaying settings on the mail server, then verify each mail client is setup to use this. If you find that some clients are having problems while this is enabled, then I would check the logs to see if the client ever tries to authneticate.
rob

Return to General