how do i remove ams service

how do i remove ams service

Postby Ikon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:56 am

I want to move ams to another drive on my server, but the NT Service wont start cause it's still looking in the old locations. Uninstalling did not remove the service (question: why not?). How do I get rid of it, so I can reinstall with new location?
Ikon

Re: how do i remove ams service

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:14 am

Uninstalling the software tries to run the software to uninstall the service but this can occasionally fail, particularly if the service has been installed at another location than the original installation location.

However, you can manually remove the old service and then reinstall it for the new location as follows:

1) Open the old AMS if still available and untick the Run as NT Service in the general settings and save settings to try and prompt an NT service uninstall.
2) Make sure no AMS is running from any path; check with task manager (ctrl+alt+delete or right click task bar at bottom of screen).
3) Open the run prompt (Windows Key+R or via start menu) and type “regedit” (no quotes) then enter to start the registry editor.
4) Go to the path “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CODE_CRAFTERS_AMS2_SERVICE” and delete this folder.
5) Reboot computer (don’t start AMS yet).
6) Repeat steps 3 and 4 to check that the service folder is still deleted (leave regedit open). If the NT service wasn’t removed correctly, start again from step 1 and hopefully it will be second time around based on the order things were removed.
7) Now load AMS on the new install path. In the general settings tick the option to “Run as NT Service” and save settings to reinstall the service in the correct location.
8) Check that the service has been properly created in the regedit path from step 4 and/or “Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services”.

Let me know how you get on.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for your reply Chris. I actually did manage to get it uninstalled on my own, even though it was by accident. After I couldn't get it to disappear, I browsed around through the AMS settings for a while, seeing if I could identify anything that might be a clue. I saw the Run As NT Service option, but didn't clue in that it would actually uninstall the service — I thought it would just enable/disable. I unchecked it anyway. I never got a prompt to uninstall. I uninstalled AMS anyway and, bingo, suddenly the service was gone :mrgreen:.

So, system is clean, right? Time to reinstall, which I did without problems. Except, oops, the service didn't reinstall :evil:. Tried uninstalling & reinstalling several times, reboot the server, the ususal; no help.

Then I read your post. When I saw the part about unchecking Run As NT Service to uninstall the service the :geek: light finally went on! I reinstalled once more, into the directory I really wanted, copied over my old AMS data, started AMS, checked the Run As NT Service and, of course, it worked; all thanks to your post.

It is very nice to have a mail server with as many features as AMS, especially webmail, that doesn't require a relational dB. It's so easy to backup, relocate (despite my recent woes), troubleshoot, etc.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:24 am

Glad you got sorted out in the end. You're right that ticking the Run as NT Service option in the general settings does install the service and unticking will uninstall it. Also, when you uninstall the software via the control panel uninstall this also runs the software to uninstall the service before removing all the installation files. At worst you can always remove the service manually as I instructed.

We've had to do this occasionally as we often run debug versions of AMS for testing then a release version from the normal install location and sometimes the 2 install locations both trying to run services will cause this problem. The main thing is to make sure if there are 2 installations for some reason that only 1 at once installs the service.

P.s. Do you mind if I use a quote for our testimonials page from your reply, as follows:

"It is very nice to have a mail server with as many features as AMS, especially webmail, that doesn't require a relational dB. It's so easy to backup, relocate, troubleshoot, etc."

If you approve please email me at chris@code-crafters.com or reply to this post with your full name so I can quote you as with other testimonials on http://www.code-crafters.com/abilitymai ... nials.html.
Code Crafters

Return to General