Duplicate emails

Duplicate emails

Postby gretchendv » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:32 pm

One of my users receives 2 of every email sent to him. I verified that the email is on the server twice, not just in his outlook inbox. The second email always appears 2 minutes after the first. There are no filters that single out this user. Can you point me in the direction of may be causing this? I looked through the logs, but wasn't sure which one it would appear in. Thanks in advance.

Gretchen
gretchendv

Re: Duplicate emails

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:39 am

If you use POP3 retrievals you can sometimes receive duplicate emails if 2 or more of the addresses in the header line match up to the alias email addresses of the account being delivered to. If these are just normal mails received via SMTP you can check the SMTP logs for more information on all emails received. If the mails are 2 minutes later every time then I'd guess either the sender is sending them twice due to some error at their end or you or your user have an antivirus or anti-SPAM filter external to AMS that is intercepting and scanning the mail before forwarding it on somehow causing a duplicate.
Code Crafters

Postby gretchendv » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Thank you for your response! I resolved the issue by creating a new account for the user. I don't have POP3 Retrievals enabled. I am pretty sure the error was not on the sender's side because it was happening for every sender including my test emails. Maybe it's the AV, we're running NOD32, but if it were that wouldn't I see the same behavior on multiple email accounts? Anyway my issue is resolved! Thanks again.
gretchendv

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am

If the user had several alias email addresses the mail should have been delivered only once via normal SMTP delivery. You can check the SMTP logs to see if one or two emails were received initially. Obviously, you still don't want to have duplicate emails coming in so I'd recommend just checking these logs to make sure.
Code Crafters

Return to General