AV filtering

AV filtering

Postby wxPhil » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 am

Our server has F_Secure AV instaklled, which isn't on the list of "approved scanners" here\:
http://www.code-crafters.com/abilitymailserver/antivirusfiltering.html
so I wrote to them asking for any info they could supply to help, and was told that as it's "only" an AV product it can't scan incoming mail, and I need to buy their Firewall product instead / as well... is that right? Maybe we'll ditch them and use one of the supported producst instead - any recommendations appreciated - must run on Windows Server 2003.
cheers
Phil
wxPhil

Re: AV filtering

Postby rob » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:16 am

Most AV companies will have this response, but email support is required by them. The only limitation is that the scanner has a command line scanner built in, which most fortunately do. I would recommend reading the manual and finding out which executable is the command line scanner and then finding out the appropriate settings. Of course you could contact them again but this time simply ask how do you manually scan a single file from a bat file.
rob

Postby wxPhil » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:02 am

Hi,
I discovered an exe in the AV installation folder which, accordng to its proprties, is a commandline scanner, so did as you suggested, and wrote them a rather pointed email asking for information on how to use it - I have fianlly had a reply pointing me to the attached file... it's all greek to me = I would be most gratefiul if you could read it and give me some ideas (as per your list of "approved" scanner settings) on how to use it...
cheers
Phil
Attachments
readcmd.zip
F-secure command line scanner readme.rtf (zipped)
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
wxPhil

Postby rob » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:46 am

If you could copy and paste the contents of the RTF into an email and send it to rob@code-crafters.com. This is simply for security reasons as we try to avoid opening office files here in the office.
rob

Postby wxPhil » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:06 pm

OK - have done
cheers
Phil
wxPhil

Return to General