AMS causing 2003 server to hang at reboot

AMS causing 2003 server to hang at reboot

Postby sterling » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:41 am

I have been noticing issues with my server not wanting to reboot or log off from the console. The past two times it has done this, if I close the AMS 2.7 then the server will reboot or logoff without issue. Any ideas? I have AMS running in NT Service mode.
sterling

Re: AMS causing 2003 server to hang at reboot

Postby rob » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:02 am

This isn't something we have had reported before and so its difficult to suggest what could be the cause or potential solution. However, probably the first thing to check would be the NT service options. If possible try re-creating the service entry, which can be done by disabling NT services when running in application mode in the general settings, then re-enabling them. If neither of these work, then it may be that you will need to reboot/log off the computer with a bat file which also closes the AMS nt service if that is the required behaviour.
rob

Postby robwaite » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I've recently noticed the same problem on my server 2003 running AMS 2.70. I can get the server to log off if I do it from the task manager, but no other way.
robwaite

Postby sterling » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:21 pm

I had noticed this in version 2.63 as well so upgraded to 2.70 hoping it would fix it but no luck. It seems to only hang up after it has been running for a few weeks. I will try to recreate the service entry next time I have a maintenance window.

Thinking on this now a bit more, I think it only happens to me if I try to login and reboot (sometimes will not even just simply log off the remote session) with the /admin switch to access the console. If I just connect with a normal session and if the console session isn't active I don't think the issue occurs. I might be wrong on that but I am pretty sure it only happens when I actually tried to use console to manage the server. But then again it don't do it all the time and it seems to be when the server has been running for a few weeks is when it happens.
sterling

Postby m1byo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:44 pm

This is something I reported about 2 years ago in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=408

Mine was solved when I installed everything on a different server, however one of the other installations of AMS I manage still has this long term issue.

I have just learnt to close AMS before reboot or shut-down and I just use task manager to logoff!

Best

Ian
m1byo

Return to General