trigger a re-download of an email via pop3retrev

trigger a re-download of an email via pop3retrev

Postby talha » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:30 am

Chris and i were discussing this on emails... i had taken a lot of chris' time so i brought this on forum.
(This is with reference to the latest release only)
I use AMS mainly just for pop3 retrieval. Now I wanted to know how do i trigger a re-download of an email from the remote server which AMS has downloaded/ignored (i understand for AMS it is the same thing).

Chris told me this: " .... resetting the file to trigger the download again if you have changed something to allow the download, editable INI files are added in the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Code-Crafters\Ability Mail Server 2\config\pop3retr” folder to signal the mail blocks by UIDL of the mail as an identifier. Deleting or editing the appropriate files will trigger a re-download. ..."

In pop3reter folder there are 10 folders named like .. mr, ra etc. now each has ini files some two some 1 and each ini file has a lot of lines .. so how would i know which one to edit to trigger a re- download of a particular email ... what exactly am i to edit to tirgger it?

Thanks.
talha

Re: trigger a re-download of an email via pop3retrev

Postby Code Crafters » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:36 am

If you send me your pop3retr folder zipped up to chris@code-crafters.com and indicate any details of accounts with blocked emails that need to be retriggered I'll let you know what editing needs to be done to re-trigger the download. Alternatively, you can of course simply delete all of the files in the pop3retr folder to reset all ignored emails and trigger these being attemptedly re-downloaded. As I mentioned in our email correspondence, if you haven't changed anything that caused the mails to not download the first time (3 attempts before being ignored), it's unlikely that re-downloading with no change will be any different.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 pm

I havent updated the AMS yet .. i wanted to clear everything up before i updated so i cant tell you the emails that were ignored.
Deleting seems a simple solution .. would deleting all the files have any effect on the emails AMS is supposed to delete from the remote server after x days?
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Most like yes it would affect the deleting after x days too. I can't remember off the top of my head and would have to look at the files generated to detail which files are for what. The files are INI files so you should be able to understand what is for what by inspecting them.
Code Crafters

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:23 am

Ok, I've had a good look into the code to find how all of this works. It was a colleague not me who added this in the last update 2.70 not long ago so I've had to figure out what's going on myself to explain it here to hopefully help anyone who needs this information.

1) There is a pop3retr folder which holds all POP3 retrieval download information.
2) Inside this folder are folders per user. These are usually named as the first letter of the host followed by the first letter of the user (e.g. ab).
3) Inside each user folder are a number of files named as domain@user@hashnumber. Note the domain and user will also become hash numbers if more than 40 characters.
4) Within each file is a list of mail download status entries like below:

{ -
uidl=UID35873-1178510796
firstseentime=20091020124430
downloadedtime=20091020124430
isdownloaded=1
faileddownloadcount=0
}

This shows the:
uidl: unique message identifier of the email
firstseentime: first time attemptedly downloaded
downloadedtime: time the mail was successfully downloaded; if it was of course
isdownloaded: 1 if downloaded, 0 if not
faileddownloadcount: number of times the mail failed to download; maximum of 3 before being ignored and never downloaded again.

5) Delete mail after X days uses these times against your system clock to determine when to delete mails from the remote server.
6) Re-triggering a download: If you delete any of these mail status entries it will cause the system to no longer know if it was downloaded and trigger a re-download if it still exists and ignore any delete after days status as well.
Code Crafters

Return to General