Content Filtering - Add to Text File

Content Filtering - Add to Text File

Postby robwaite » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:34 am

Hello,

After spending a lot of time training the SPAM filters we’re seeing a massive reduction in the amount of SPAM that is received on our mail server. Looking at the SMTP logs I can see that a large amount of SPAM is being detected and subsequently deleted by the mail server.

If been thinking of a way to try and count the amount of SPAM email which are being detected by the system. So for I’ve created a content filter to identify SPAM, and then add a line to a text file, then delete the email. This is working great.

I was wondering if there is any way that a sequential number could be added to each line of the text file, maybe along with the date and time so quickly provide a crude report for the number of SPAM emails.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
robwaite

Re: Content Filtering - Add to Text File

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:47 am

There is no way of keeping a count within the software in the current version. However, below are 3 ways off the top of my head to count the number of SPAM mails you have going through your AMS.

1) One solution I can think of is to use content filtering to add a single character to a text file for each email. Since within .txt files one character is exactly one byte long you can see how many bytes the file size is to give you your email count. You can also include the date and any other information from the email that you need such as headers, SMTP envelope, email size and body content information.

2) Another way would be to store copies of all the SPAM in an account used specially for Bayesian training. It's usually a good idea to keep a copy of all SPAM / non-SPAM emails used for training the Bayesian if you have space so that you can re-train the Bayesian. This way you can also check the number of SPAM mails stored.

3) You could also use a custom application to count the lines of your original text file.
Code Crafters

Re: Content Filtering - Add to Text File

Postby robwaite » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:58 pm

Thanks for the quick response, three great suggestions for me to try out!
robwaite

Return to General