remote admin problem

remote admin problem

Postby Jack » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:23 am

I have several domains and noticed that I cannot get to the remote admin on any of the domains.

When I try the remote admin port I get this message:
"Error: 404 Not Found

Sorry, the requested file could not be found."

I am going to the URL: "http://mail.mydomain.com:9000"

Do you have any ideas?
Jack

Re: remote admin problem

Postby Jodrik » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Obvious question: Remote admin is enabled?
Jodrik

Postby rob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:38 am

This should only really happen if you have re-arranged the installation folder. Basically by default AMS installs a template folder (just like webmail) for remote admin to use. It may be wise to re-install over the top of your current installation to restore any missing files. I do recommend performing a backup before doing this however.
rob

Postby Jack » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:55 am

I haven't changed anything as far as that goes. I did just do an update to 2.7. I can't say when this started because I generally don't use the remote admin. I have a customer that would like to use so I thought I would test it out. I have used it before but can't remember when it was.

I have had Ability running happily on thes computer for quite a while now so I don't really know what happened.

You said I should reinstall Ability. Should I download the latest version and do a complete reinstall? I will just copy the entire folder tree to another location before doing the reinstall. I will wait to hear your answer first, I am no hurry at the moment.

Thanks, Jack
Jack

Postby rob » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:22 am

If you have just installed in 2.7 recently, and haven't modifed the installation folder other than editing the settings within AMS, then there is no reason to reinstall. However, copying the installation folder is the best way to backup the software (if you don't use backup software, then you should take the mail server offline during this). The only other reason I can think remote admin is failing is due to some other web server picking up and dealing with the remote admin requests. I would recommend checking any router/firewall/AV to ensure that port 9000 is going directly to AMS. Also, within the AMS installation folder, the sub directory remoteadmin should be present and within that should be lots of HTML files.
rob

Postby Jack » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:32 am

rob wrote:If you have just installed in 2.7 recently, and haven't modifed the installation folder other than editing the settings within AMS, then there is no reason to reinstall. However, copying the installation folder is the best way to backup the software (if you don't use backup software, then you should take the mail server offline during this). The only other reason I can think remote admin is failing is due to some other web server picking up and dealing with the remote admin requests. I would recommend checking any router/firewall/AV to ensure that port 9000 is going directly to AMS. Also, within the AMS installation folder, the sub directory remoteadmin should be present and within that should be lots of HTML files.

I can't remember exactly when I ran the 2.7 update but it hasn't been long. I have never changed the istall folder nor any of the contents within it. The remoteadmin folder is as follows: "C:\Program Files\Code-Crafters\Ability Mail Server 2\remoteadmin". There is an "images" folder below this folder. The remoteadmin folder contains 90 objects and the images folder contains 19. The router is configured correctly. The remoteadmin port 9000 is setup the exact same way the webmail port 8000 is which works. There is no other web server running on this machine. This software/computer setup has been running on the same hardware since June of 06 with no problems until this so something has to be missing somehow.

I will shut down Ability this evening and reinstall from scratch using 2.7. I will let you know the outcome tomorrow.

I run backup software but it's faster just to copy the install folder if I need to restore than using the backup software since there isn't a lot of data involved.

Thanks, Jack
Jack

Postby Jack » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:56 pm

OK, so I reinstalled the 2.7 over the existing installation. I can now get to the remoteadmin login but even though I know I am using the right credentials I cannot login. I keep getting the incorrect login page. This is the same situation no matter what admin user I try to login under.

What's next?
Jack

Postby rob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 am

The remote admin login details are controlled from within the general settings, in there there is a overall adminuser/pass setting. I should note that domain admins or normal user/pass combinations are not acceptable on remote admin.
rob

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

OK it works now. :D

Thanks guys.
Jack

Return to General