Testing backup MX record

Testing backup MX record

Postby waterman34 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi all

We run a backup mx server here in the office and we've lately had to change our static ip address to a new one, I've altered the settings on the backup mx server and the primary mx which *should* hopefully work ok but how can I test the backup mx without shutting off the primary?]

Any ideas? I don't really want to shut off the primary as there are too many accounts on there so will cause a bit of a problem!
waterman34

Re: Testing backup MX record

Postby Code Crafters » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 am

If you send me your mail server domain(s) to chris@code-crafters.com I'll do MX lookups and test the connections for both your mail servers. I'll let you know if the records need updating.

We use www.no-ip.com for hosting most of our domains as they provide a dynamic update client (DUC) which you can install on your computer to automatically update the DNS IP when your router IP changes. This is particularly useful for one of our offices which has a dynamic regularly changing IP. It also helps if we want to move the primary mail server to another office, automatically updating several domains' DNS records related to the mail server at once with the same DUC software.
Code Crafters

Return to General