Do Safe IPs under SMTP bypass filtering?

Do Safe IPs under SMTP bypass filtering?

Postby waterman34 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Do safe ip's under SMTP settings bypass spam and content filtering?
waterman34

Re: Do Safe IPs under SMTP bypass filtering?

Postby waterman34 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Although I still need an answer to the above question I've found from a quick online test that the backup mx is now acting as an open relay!!!?

This definately didn't happen before we upgraded to 2.70 as if I'm correct the SMTP shouldn't accept email for any domains that don't exist? As I mentioned above all the domains names are set too 'Backup Domain' under the domains settings.

Really in need of some urgent help now, support??
waterman34

Re: Do Safe IPs under SMTP bypass filtering?

Postby rob » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:13 am

The SMTP safe IP's do not affect relaying permissions. But of course relay permissions do have their own safe IP list and those will cause the provided IP's to send email unrestricted. As to your open backup MX, just make sure the SMTP settings POP Before SMTP and safe IP's are not allowing your connections to bypass the authentication. You should also of coures make sure you still enable SMTP Authentication (even there are no users, it restricts relaying to the provided backup domain list). If you would like me to examine your backup server configuration and logs, send the admin login details to rob@code-crafters.com.
rob

Return to General