error sending mail from domain

error sending mail from domain

Postby allengcs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:56 pm

I'm having trouble with our smtp server right now. We have 2 domains that ability mail handles, [companya].com and [companyb].com. The [companya] resolves to x.x.x.8 but the [companyb] resolves to x.x.x.11. However, the mail server for both is on x.x.x.8. We have no problems sending mail from the [companya] domain. But we can't send smtp from the [companyb] domain as it gives us the error 'Send test email message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server'.

Now at first I would have thought we just had some sort of authentication problem. However, both domains are setup identically in abilitymail and the outlook accounts to use them are identical as well. The only difference I can tell is that the richer base domain doesn't resolve to the exact IP as the mail server.

what can I do to fix this? is this a bug or do we just need to configure something correctly?
allengcs

Re: error sending mail from domain

Postby m1byo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Try changing the outgoing email address of the email for the working domain [companya].com to [companyb].com.

It looks to me like there is a slight difference between the configuration of your 2 outgoing email accounts on outlook.

I hope this helps.

Ian
m1byo

Re: error sending mail from domain

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 am

The error indicates that for the account that didn't work in outlook you have selected to use an authentication method when sending that isn't supported by Ability Mail Server. Check the options via the More Settings button in the outlook account options to see if you have enabled sending with Secure Password Authentication (not supported by AMS) or something like this.

On a separate note, you should set up your DNS records for both domains as follows:

domain.com
A = web site IP
MX = mail.domain.com

mail.domain.com
A = mail server IP

Then access both accounts via the mail.domain.com domain which should be the same IP for all of your domains.
Code Crafters

Return to General