Continuing Problem - WebMail

Continuing Problem - WebMail

Postby DTower5 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:40 pm

I have still been having issues with services freezes, and it seems to happen when more people jump on the server (connections, not an actual client machine) and was happens is the webmail service will hang on people. The GUI will still be up, but the uptime clock will hang. Sometime it will recover after 3-5 minutes and other times I will need to restart the application. Is there anyone else having simialr issues, and if so, is there anything you tried which fixed the issues?

The remaining services seem to remain unaffected, and I have switched back to the default template for webmail, and have reinstalled the program. But nothing seems to remedy the freezing/halting of the webmail service.

I have a P4 2.8 system with 1.5 GB of RAM and 250 accounts and 80 GB of e-mail
DTower5

Re: Continuing Problem - WebMail

Postby DTower5 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:52 pm

My other thoguhts on this seem to keep my thoughts on the webmail service, as since the other services stay up, something is going ary with just that process. This, to me, indicates the machine is working normally - but any ideas or suggestions are still welcome. Thanks!
DTower5

Re: Continuing Problem - WebMail

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 am

The slow down could be simply down to the amount of emails you are accessing together with a reasonably low amount of RAM for this kind of traffic.

1) Ideally, you should organise your mail into folders storing your old mails in an Archive or Old Emails type folder. This way your Inbox will be much faster accessed as well as releaving the strain on the server as a whole. Obviously, you can't control what all your users do but can of course limit the mail storage per user if necessary.
2) I would also recommend using 2-4GB of RAM if you have a very busy server as Vista and newer Windows versions will generally use over half of 1.5GB RAM just idling which doesn't leave a lot for busy mail servers. You can use task manager (ctrl+alt+del) to check how much RAM is being used when the mail server is idle and busy to see if you really could do with more RAM.
Code Crafters

Return to General