Max emails

Max emails

Postby wxPhil » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Hope this isn't too daft a question... re these two settings (SMTP):

"Max Mails Per IP Per Day - This option allows you to set a limit on the number of allowed mails an IP can send into the SMTP per day. This helps protect against incoming SPAM mails, abusive users and also as backup protection in case a SPAM system is some how able to breach your other security restrictions.

Max Mails Per IP Per Day (KB) - This option allows you to set a size limit on the amount of mail data an IP can send into the SMTP per day. This helps protect against incoming SPAM mails, abusive users and also as backup protection in case a SPAM system is some how able to breach your other security restrictions."

Does this include our own (mail/web server, they're the same) IP address? ie, by setting it am I setting the max number of emails we can send via this server?

cheers..
wxPhil

Re: Max emails

Postby wxPhil » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 pm

The answer is yes, it does.

I guess I was hoping it would mean the max number of emails an IP could send to us. Ah well.

Can that be limited?

Ta...
wxPhil

Re: Max emails

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:48 am

The SMTP limit only affects SMTP so WebMail is unaffected but this does include mail from an IP including the local computer or router. So if in your SMTP logs all mail appears to come from your router IP or all internal network mail sent does then you may not be able to use this setting without it wrongly triggering for your internal network IP as well. We hope to add some IP exclusions to these settings in a future update to help improve this problem.

There are also equivalent group settings to limit per user per day as well if you need to avoid your own users sending too much email (potentially SPAM) per day.
Code Crafters

Return to General