Outlook says "Your search yielded no results"

Outlook says "Your search yielded no results"

Postby mcknet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I created a shared address book with common names and e-mail addresses. I created an LDAP database that includes only that shared address book. Outlook can't find anything in that database. If I add a domain to the LDAP database, it finds information from the domain, but still nothing from the shared address book. What am I missing?
mcknet

Re: Outlook says "Your search yielded no results"

Postby mcknet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Ok, I figured out it's not searching common names or first name, it's only looking at the e-mail address. I can find people using advanced options and searching specifically for a last name or first name. Is this an Outlook problem? If I have this in a shared address book:

First name: First
Surname: Last
Common name: First Last
E-mail address: flast@company.com

I want people to be able to quickly search for "First" and have Outlook list flast@company.com. Advanced search adds a few more clicks for people who seem impatient with the idea of having to search in the first place.

Any suggestions?
mcknet

Re: Outlook says "Your search yielded no results"

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 am

1) You seem to have set the server side LDAP up ok providing you clicked to compile the LDAP database after any changes to it or the shared address book referenced by it. This isn't always obvious.
2) As for searching in outlook, you have to add the LDAP database in the account settings (see http://www.code-crafters.com/abilitymai ... lient.html at bottom of page for more details on this) then reboot outlook to make this address book show in the list.
3) Open outlook again and use the Search Address Book facility (book icon in top toolbar of outlook main page), selecting the AMS LDAP database from the Address Book drop down box.
4) You can then go to Tools then Find and you will now have many search boxes including Display Name (common name from shared address book), First name, Last name and many more. Fill in one or more boxes, select "begins with" or "contains from the bottom then hit ok to show the results.
5) You can also add these results to local contacts I believe too but are better using the syncrhonized updated server versions of course.
Code Crafters

Return to General