Webmail with other smtp.

Webmail with other smtp.

Postby sas550 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi! My small company has been using ams for a couple of years now and we are very satisfied. However, recently there has been reports that our smtp server is used for spamming. At the moment I don't have the time or the energy to start with the configuring to stop this prob. I just stopped the smtp service and we are now using our isp's smtp. Is there any way to have the webmail service to use our isp's smtp server?

Best regards. Anders E
sas550

Re: Webmail with other smtp.

Postby Code Crafters » Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 am

I'm sorry to hear about your SPAM attack. WebMail goes straight into AMS with no SMTP needed then if for external addresses goes back out using Outgoing Mail so SMTP is only needed for receiving incoming mail or using mail clients (e.g. outlook) to send mail.

Mainly though, make sure you have SMTP Authentication enabled in the SMTP Relaying Access settings. Then, we recommend the following SPAM setup:

Basic Filtering:

1) Make sure you’re running version 2.70.
2) Run the SPAM wizard from the dialog admin interface for medium level protection.
3) Set up any black / white listing that you need. The relaying exemption option will allow any authenticated users to bypass SPAM filtering.

Advanced Filtering:
4) If you want to also do Bayesian filtering, this take a bit of setting up but is by far the most effective SPAM filter available today.
a) Set up Bayesian filtering to use only the Auto-Learn from Users training method. Add participating users and appropriate SPAM / non-SPAM folders to the Bayesian settings.
b) Get Participating users to sort their mail into SPAM / non-SPAM folders where Bayesian will automatically learn from them periodically.
c) You need to disable rejecting (deleting) the email on all SPAM filters so that the SPAM flag is set and the mail is allowed to pass through.
d) Set up Content Filtering with the Preset Content Filter Rule (Add Preset button) “SPAM Identifier”. This rule will mark SPAM detected mails with <SPAM> in the subject so that they can be more easily identified and moved to the SPAM folder. Bayesian is a learning system so once it is well trained (minimum of 1000 SPAM and 1000 non-SPAM mails) you can set this content filter rule to also place mails in the SPAM account directory but don’t do this until you are happy it is training accurately and you must then check your SPAM folder for false positives (mails wrongly marked as SPAM that aren’t really SPAM) and move them appropriately.
Code Crafters

Return to General