too many imap connections

too many imap connections

Postby allengcs » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:46 pm

I have an enterprise license for ability main and use use it for several of my domains. After I added the most recent domain though I started getting an error message that the max number of imap clients had been reached and that it refused the connection. How do I up the max number of imap connections allowed?
allengcs

Re: too many imap connections

Postby rob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 am

This option can be found on the IMAP4 service settings. Look for 'Max Connections' near the top of the settings list.
rob

Postby allengcs » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:47 am

Hi Rob,

I've tried that and it still gives me the error. I have max connections set to 200 but it still errors when I have over 5.
allengcs

Postby rob » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:55 pm

If the mail server is only registering only 5 connections on the main status dialog, then most likley this is due to some third party product processing the IMAP4 connection. Basically on the server you should ensure any antivirus that is running is not restricting the number of IMAP4 connections. Also, this should be done with your router as sometimes they have security technology which can cause issues for servers. If you could provide me with a screen shot/copy-paste of the actual error message this would help.
rob

Postby allengcs » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:58 pm

ok, so I think I may have found the problem. It seems that the imap connection limit is obeying the POP3 mail retrieval connection limit. Therefore, under Acconts\Groups\[your domain] if you have max POP retrievals set to 3 on any given domain, then if you have more than 3 imap connections open, it will throw that error.
allengcs

Postby rob » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:02 pm

From the perspective of design, this shouldn't be possible as each service his dealt with in very seperate ways. However, we have tested this and with all the various other services set to only 3 connections maximum, we were able to open and use many mail clients (registering over 20 connections) to the IMAP4 without problem. I should note that when a service connection limit is reached, it tends to reject connections without any actual description of the cause (as it refuses the TCP connection attempt). This means if you are receiving an error message which says maximum connection limit reached, this is most likely not caused by Ability Mail Server and some software / hardware layer between.
rob

Postby allengcs » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Rob, thanks for looking into this. I can reproduce the problem every time by setting that pop mail retreival limit to 3 or lower and getting that error message. I guess it doesn't matter now though as long as it works.
allengcs

Return to General