Outgoing mails limit - time dependant

Outgoing mails limit - time dependant

Postby talha » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:00 am

Hi,

We have discussed this in the past as well - in SMTP relay mode there is only one user authorized so at the remote smtp server all the mails are going from one account only - i think an option for every user (not domain) would be better because the smtp providers put a limit on max outgoing mails per hour and per day.

The problem I face is that all mails from my 12 users go through only one account and I came dangerously close to the limit of per hour mails - currently i have 200mails/hour and 2000mails/day. In fact i have crossed the limit and my account has been temporarily been disabled and reactivated in the past and now my provider tells me that i have crossed the limit 3 times in the last 90 days any future crossing will result in a permanent suspension.

Is there a way I can regulate my outgoing mails through AMS - like keep a limit on maximum outgoing mails/hour or atleast warned if i get close to the limit? I cant use the queue size option because it deletes the mails and then users wont know if their mail was sent or not plus it is not time dependant.

A basic question if one mail is sent with 1 address in each field TO, CC and BCC plus one more address is silently added by AMS through content filtering - How many outgoing mails will be counted for this message? 1 or 4?

Thanks.
talha

Re: Outgoing mails limit - time dependant

Postby rob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 am

Unfortunatly there isn't a throttle to control the mails per hour, and as mails are quite small, any third party product which throttles bandwidth probably wouldn't work either, unless of course there is one designed specifically for SMTP connections. I will of course forward this has a suggestion for a future feature. As to your the added addresses in content filtering. If the added addresses are for the same domain as the original delivery address, then this shoudln't increase the delivery count. However, other domains will result in the same mail being delivered via multiple connections and so will increase your delivery count.
rob

Return to General