Completely confused after upgrading

Completely confused after upgrading

Postby wxPhil » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:11 pm

So I run the new AMS 3 installation – offers to import my settings etc. Great. Offers to stop previous instances (2.6.1)- Good. Installation complete.

Now I click on the new icon. See a message box say8ing “Unable to open POP3/SMTP (etc)” – port or service, I can’t remember. Then the new UI opened, with all the services shown not running. But looking at the settings, they are all shown as per my previous installation.

So I figure a re-boot can’t hurt...

After which, clicking the new icon just gives me a message box telling that AMS is already running and to make sure I open it in administrator mode (?)

But the old AMS2 icon is still on my desktop – so I click that, and AMS 2opens as always – all present and correct! But, weirdly enough, that icon points to a location that no longer exists – the old AMS 2 folder in Program Files / code-crafters /AMS2 that has been deleted and replaced with a AMS3 folder! (I had previously moved all the mail folders elsewhere.)

And in the Windows Services MC I can see the old AMS2 service running – there is no sign of any AMS3 service at all.

Mail appears to work – I cans end and receive fine, and use webmail. But as far as I can tell it’s all still AMS 2.

Where is AMS3? Why could I open the UI before re-booting, even though it said no services were running, and not after re-booting?

??????
wxPhil

Re: Completely confused after upgrading

Postby rob » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:47 am

Sorry to hear about your misfortune when installing AMS3. This is the first report of an issue like this and we will of coures look into possibilities. However, the software does use a industry standard installation system and so the only explanation I can think of is that the software installed into the same directory as version 2 (without seeing your hard drive I can't confirm this). However, the solution is to re-run the AMS3 installation, and ensure it installs to a entirely new directory, then allow it again to transfer the AMS2 installation. The version 2 disablement option is can potentially fail and so it would be wise to also manually confirm that version 2 is not enable as a NT service and is unloaded.
rob

Postby wxPhil » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 pm

hmm.. it has installed to a new folde, and the old AMS2 folder has been deleted. Yet, oddly, the desktop icon, which still points to the (non-existent) v 2 fodler still works! And when I click it and "switch to application" it opens the old v2 interface!

Aside fromt he new AMS3 folder in program files / ccode crafters, there seems to be no sign of v3 at all.... when I first ran the installation I left v2 as it was - running as a service. If I shouldn't havem I do wish this would have been made clear... I don't know - i am little scared to run it again now - I daren't lose the service altogether...
wxPhil

Postby rob » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:46 am

The installation process will never delete any configuration files or user/mail files. Also, the disabling option should stop and remove the version 2 NT service. Of course this is all assuming that the installation has full permissions to perform these actions. What I recommed are the following...

- Deactivate AMS2 service (simply stop it).
- Run the AMS3 installation file, ensuring it installs to a unique and new folder.
- Ensure the option 'Disable Version 2' is ticked.
- Run AMS3 with admin rights (the link to AMS2 on your desktop will still work because version 3 doesn't remove version 2, just disables the service).
- TRansfer the settinsg from your AMS2 installation folder.

You should be able to register version 3 to run as a service without issue (if its a Vista or above, make sure you launch version 3 with admin rights).
rob

Postby wxPhil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 pm

OK... well, just to update you, I did sort it out eventually. I *did* tick the "Disable version 2" option when installing AMS3, but somehow it hadn't done so - or if it had, it left the old service (with it's automatic-start property intact), so after re-booting AMS2 was loaded again (as a service) - and this was stopping AMS3 from running. After manually stopping and disabling the AMS2 service, AMS3 was happy. And so was I.
wxPhil

Return to General