outgoing webmail only

outgoing webmail only

Postby wxPhil » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Can I, or how would I, set up AMS so that users can only send mail via its own in-built webmail system, but not through configuring theior emial client software (i.e. setting their SMTP/outgoing mail settings to use this server?) In other words, force them to use their own ISP's smtp service, or some other one for that.

cheers
P
wxPhil

Re: outgoing webmail only

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:35 pm

In the user group you can disable SMTP Authentication Access and since you need to have SMTP authentication on for security this will stop them relaying via the SMTP but would still allow local delivery via SMTP. You can also disable allowing WebMail to relay to external email addresses in the user group settings too.
Code Crafters

Postby wxPhil » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

OK, thanks - this is useful. What I might like to do is, rather than stop all users from sending mail, is create a new group "ReceiveOnly" and place some domians (and ie all users in that domain) into this group. But I can't see an obvious way of moving an already established domian + users (in the "Default" group) into this new group.... is there?
wxPhil

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Yes, of course.

1) Go to the users page in the settings.
2) Use the domain and group filters to find the users you want.
3) Select the users in the box below. Hold shift to select top and bottom of a list and / or hold control to add or remove individuals from the selection.
4) Press the Move button and select the domain and group you wish to move them to.

Note if you want to move several domains you'll have to move each domain at once. Easiest way is to filter each domain using the top drop down box.
Code Crafters

Postby wxPhil » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Excellent! Thank you :)
wxPhil

Return to General