Edit FROM header Field and spam traps

Edit FROM header Field and spam traps

Postby talha » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Hello,

I am using a content filtering rule that renames the Sender to newemail@mydomain.com and then changes the FROM header field to: "MyCompanyName <newemail@mydomain.com>"

so mail appears to be sent by newemail@mydomain.com.

Sometimes i get these bounce back messages: "553 MAIL FROM not matches the address of FROM field in message header"

Is this because of this rule? If yes, how can I work around it?
talha

Re: Edit FROM header Field and spam traps

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:38 pm

If you set both correctly it should all work fine. Is this to change normal SMTP sent emails? If you send your contentfiltering.ini to info@code-crafters.com with an explanation of what you expect to achieve, we'll have a look at what you might be doing wrong.
Code Crafters

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Your content filtering rules seem fine to me. You may need to also change the Reply-To header field and maybe others to guarantee that return emails come to the department as Reply-To sometimes takes precedence.

As for the error you'd have to look at which emails are getting bounced. Maybe make a copy of all outgoing mail as another content filter rule at the bottom of the list so it shows the modified mail that gets sent so you can trace what's going on or alternatively add a rule with "Add Text to File" action to log the details of the mail.
Code Crafters

Postby talha » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:58 am

I havent had a reply-to address problem as yet.

But anyway will check thanks.
talha

Postby Code Crafters » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Add a copy or logging rule to content filtering then you can check exactly what's been sent after the modifications and use the outmail logs to trace where the errors might be being caused by.
Code Crafters

Return to General