5.1.0 - Unknown address error 530-"Recipient refused.

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 530-"Recipient refused.

Postby Mwoplock » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:38 pm

I use several services that send emails on my behalf. For example, I have a quoting engine that will send out a quote. In all cases, I actually have the system send me the email. I never get the email, but I get a delivery error notification with the original message attached. Currently I open the attachment and use it. I know there is some setting to fix it.

Here is the bounce message
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 530-"Recipient refused. The sender's domain requires authentication or is not a valid user."

The attached email that bounced is from me, to me.

Here are some exerts from the SMPT log.
11:13:32 -> 208.90.89.33 -> Success: Action=[Received Hello], Details=[Host=po033.quotit.com]
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:13:32 -> 208.90.89.33 -> Success: Action=[SPAM Detection Triggered], Details=[SPAM detected by Sender Domain Check.]
Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:13:32 -> 208.90.89.33 -> Success: Action=[Received Sender], Details=[Michael@insureyoutoo.com]

Mwoplock

Re: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 530-"Recipient refused.

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm

The sender domain check has 2 options. One is to make sure that any users for local domains exist on your Ability Mail Server. The other requires SMTP authentication when sending from local domains (even to other local domains). This is to stop SPAM spoofed emails between local addresses. There is a relaying exemption option on the first page of the SPAM filtering that allows any SMTP authenticated users to skip SPAM filtering which may help but generally if you were authenticated then you'd never fail the Sender Domain Check SPAM filter anyway.
Code Crafters

Postby Mwoplock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 am

chris wrote:The sender domain check has 2 options. One is to make sure that any users for local domains exist on your Ability Mail Server. The other requires SMTP authentication when sending from local domains (even to other local domains). This is to stop SPAM spoofed emails between local addresses. There is a relaying exemption option on the first page of the SPAM filtering that allows any SMTP authenticated users to skip SPAM filtering which may help but generally if you were authenticated then you'd never fail the Sender Domain Check SPAM filter anyway.

I've tried this, put the sender's domain and IP address in the white list, still same problem.

I may not have been clear, this happens when a system external to me sends an email on my behalf. It then sends me a copy for my records. For example, I have a lead management system that can send emails. The system can send emails from me, but uses it's own SMTP server to email. It will also email me a copy. I guess the problem is one SMTP server sending to me as me.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
Mwoplock

Postby mrooks1984 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi,
does your lead management system smtp server have smarthost options?
if it does try setting it up that so it sends all emails from that server through your ability mail server using your username and password.
Michael Rooks,
Computer Technician and Website Designer.
http://www.cyberglide.co.uk
mrooks1984

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 am

You may be able to add the lead management system's IP address or domain to the SPAM white list for it to skip SPAM filtering.
Code Crafters

Return to General