IMAP - Moving mail between folders

IMAP - Moving mail between folders

Postby sjoram » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Back up and running on the latest version of AMS now after suffering a server failure.

It's a home setup that I use for family and historically some friends as something I can use to learn on, but it's also the mail server for my primary email account (No Backup MX - still working on that, I have something that will "store and forward" holding for 10 days max)

Anyway, something that's been bugging me a while and I wonder if there's a workaround.

As I understand it, when an IMAP client moves a mail item from one folder to another, rather than being a straightforward 'move', it's actually a 'copy then delete' which means that the original copy of the item then ends up in the Deleted folder.

The problem I'm having is that anything directed into Junk is set to be moved to Deleted after being processed nightly by AMS into the Bayesian database. I can't always tell whether an item is there because it's been processed on the spam rules and if genuine I need to move back to Inbox, or whether it's a duplicate from a move I can delete.

Is there any way around this issue when moving mail between folders from an IMAP client?
sjoram

Re: IMAP - Moving mail between folders

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 pm

IMAP4 does support moving mails from one folder to another with the same account via a MOVE extension but we haven't implemented this in Ability so a delete and create will be used instead. Obviously if it's to another account it will have to delete and create a new mail. However, this is of course up to the mail client as to how it implements this too.

As for the moving mails to the deleted folder after Bayesian Learning. There is a setting called "Delete Mails After Learning" that should be unticked if you don't want this behaviour. There is also a setting called "Only Learn From Mails Older Than (days)" that makes Bayesian wait that number of days before learning to give you chance to correct mails put in the wrong folder. Even if they are not moved in time and learned wrongly, if you move them they'll be relearned to counteract the previous learning.
Code Crafters

Postby sjoram » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 am

Chris,

Thanks for the reply - the forum seems very quiet of late but I thought best raise via the forum as others can then see your response.
Hope things are well at your end - I often wonder how many licences of AMS have actually been issued!

Is there any particular reason for not implementing the MOVE method in AMS and is there any workaround for moving mail in the same account (I have a mix of Outlook, Thunderbird and iOS/Android clients).

In terms of Junk moving to Deleted once processed, the reason I chose to do this was such that I/users know once the mail has been processed by AMS (once daily). Not much value in deleting from Junk if not yet processed. Useful to know that it re-learns if later moved. I presume that then deleted the spam token for that mail and creates a non-spam?

Thanks once again for the excellent always prompt support over the years - been an AMS user for almost 10 years now.
sjoram

Postby Code Crafters » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:40 am

We implemented the main IMAP4 core just over 10 years ago now. I wasn't aware of the MOVE extension or possibly didn't implement it because a normal delete and create is also fine and should even set the correct date/time on the email. We may look at adding this extension in a future version but as I said it's not required, just a bit more efficient really.

SPAM that is re-learnt doesn't delete the original token but instead cancels it out and future learning will re-enforce it being the right type of mail.

Thanks for your continued support over the years.
Code Crafters

Return to General