Mobile device on Ability

Mobile device on Ability

Postby skeating » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Hello

I am using Ability 2.53 Mail server. I am trying to setup an iPhone connection to a mailbox. I can receive email on the phone that is sent to the Ability account, but cannot send email from the phone ( I can send email through the web interface). Should I be able to send email from a phone using the 2.53 version? I have checked the outbound logs and it should a failed delivery because of Barracuda Reputation. I have gotten the domain taken off that, but still cannot send email from the iPhone (or an LG4 Lucid, for that matter). When I attempt to send a message, I get a message on the phone saying it cannot access the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Keating
skeating

Re: Mobil device on Ability

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:12 pm

You mentioned a few different problems here. The barracuda one is a general problem of being on their block list which sounds like you've now resolved. As for the iPhone you need to set up the outgoing mail server with the same login details as used for the incoming mail server including your username / password which is used for authentication. If you get cannot connect to server then it's usually the domain or port that's wrong. I think iPhones default to port 587 for sending SMTP so change this to 25 and hopefully that should resolve the issue. We're looking at adding a secondary listening port to SMTP probably in the next update to allow connections on both 25 and 587. Often you can just accept connections on both at your router and forward both to 25 internally as a work around.
Code Crafters

Re: Mobile device on Ability

Postby skeating » Tue May 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Returning to my problem, I can receive email on the iPhone 6 from the Ability mail server, but I cannot send email from the Ability mail server, using the iPhone 6. I have set the outgoing mail server setting as the same as the inbound mail server. Is there something I must do on the Ability mail server to facilitate this?
skeating

Postby Code Crafters » Fri May 06, 2016 8:45 am

Have you tried putting the SMTP port in the outgoing mail server settings for the host / domain?

e.g. mail.yourdomain.com:25
Code Crafters

Postby skeating » Mon May 09, 2016 1:18 pm

I will give that a try
skeating

Postby skeating » Wed May 11, 2016 11:30 am

Tried the adding port 25 to the name of the server, but still cannot send email from the iPhone. Port 25 is open on the server and the firewall in front of it.
skeating

Postby Code Crafters » Thu May 12, 2016 8:14 am

If you can email the settings you're using on your iPhone to info@codecrafters.com we'll have a look where you might be going wrong.

I know last time I set one up recently the problem was that it was trying to use 587 for SMTP by default instead of 25. We are hoping to add an additional port binding for 587 to SMTP in a future update.
Code Crafters

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:18 am

Solution to skeating's problem via email was:

I figured out the problem. In the Outbound server configuration of the iPhone, the Username and Password are Optional. But for it to work, you must put in the username and password. Once I did this, the phone can send email.
Code Crafters

Postby skeating » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:00 pm

A new twist to the problem. As long as the mobile device is connected to WiFi, email can be sent from the phone. But once connected only to he carrier's signal, email cannot be sent from the phone, but it can receive email. Even using the carrier's SMTP outbound settings for the outbound server does not allow sending email. Is there something else I need to do, so that email can be sent via the carrier's signal?
skeating

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Make sure the host name is an internet domain and not a local IP or similar. If you're sending through Ability Mail Server that's the only thing that comes to mind is getting the right host if it works on wifi but not without. If you need more help with this, send your outgoing mail settings to info@codecrafters.com again and we'll run some tests on your connection.
Code Crafters

Return to General