Service Runs, But Can't Launch Application After Upgrade

Service Runs, But Can't Launch Application After Upgrade

Postby pstraney » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:20 am

Hi;

I finally got around to upgrading from AMS 3.x to AMS 4 (only had the new license for 6 months, LOL) and the upgrade and conversion went fine (remember to create new firewall permissions if you do this! Took me a bit to remember that) and things are working fine. The service is running, problem is that I can't launch the application. I initially get the three-choice box, and select the "switch to application", but nothing happens. Retry just gets me an "AMS is already running" (and yes, I'm running it as administrator). It does appear that the application starts to run, as the service is marked as stopped in the server manager (running WS 2012 R2) but I can still connect to webmail, remote admin, etc.. The app shows up in the task manager, but I can't seem to end the process.

Mind you, all this time, the server is running and accessible to my users.

I wanted to check for any upgrades, and without being able to switch to the application, I cant' do that. Not in crisis mode, but it is annoying that this is acting out this way. Anybody ahve any thoughts or suggestions? I'm kinda fresh out.

Paul
pstraney

Re: Service Runs, But Can't Launch Application After Upgrade

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:53 am

When you switch to application mode, this is instead of the NT service running so that is normal. It sounds like your application is actually running but for whatever reason not visible.

Is it an issue with multiple displays? If so, make sure the one you're looking at is the main display and it should load any new application windows there.

To shut down the software via task manager you have to kill the amsloader.exe and then amsmain.exe as the loader restarts Ability Mail Server in the event of a crash or similar.

Try re-installing the software to see if that helps. You can always use remote admin to access the settings and join our mailing list or follow us on social media via http://www.codecrafters.com/SocialMediaAndMailingLists to be informed when updates are released.

Did this issue exist with Ability Mail Server 3? What version of Ability Mail Server 4 and Windows are you using?
Code Crafters

Return to General