Connection closed, failed to start SSL

Connection closed, failed to start SSL

Postby SteveInEngland » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:09 pm

I am getting a FAILED when sending emails to a certain couple of mail servers e.g. messagestream.com. In the OUTGOING.txt log it says:

"Connection closed, failed to start SSL"

I've turned off the SSL to None and it works OK. My understanding is that if the SSL connect doesn't work it should fail over to non-SSL and send, but it doesn't.

From the manual:-

"SSL Mode - When using either Independent Mode or Relay Mode, this option controls the use of SSL and TLS. Usually most SMTPs do not support SSL and so ofte"n this option will be set to 'None'. However, if you are not certain that SSL will be supported but still wish to try anyway, you can select an SSL mode from the list. This will cause outbound connections to try to use SSL.

Only Allow Secure Connections - If SSL Mode is set to any SSL mode other than 'None', this option controls whether or not non-SSL connection attempts are allowed when SSL connections fail."
SteveInEngland

Re: Connection closed, failed to start SSL

Postby SteveInEngland » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:00 pm

So far, no outgoing issues with it set to "None". I will just leave it on that for now.

Steve
SteveInEngland

Re: Connection closed, failed to start SSL

Postby Code Crafters » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:47 pm

If you use an SSL mode but have Only Allow Secure Connections not checked then this will allow non-SSL to be tried if the SSL connection fails due to SSL version conflicts etc. You can also use static routes to use different settings for particular domains if you need to.
Code Crafters

Return to General