live URL in v4.2.3 webmail client???

live URL in v4.2.3 webmail client???

Postby Ikon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:02 am

I was just trying to create an email in the v4.2.3 web client, but I couldn't see any obvious way to have the link clickable in the received email. This was available in v2.7.2. Is it still do-able?
Ikon

Re: live URL in v4.2.3 webmail client???

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:45 pm

We'll look into re-enabling the Insert URL button on the new HTML compose toolbar.
Code Crafters

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 am

We've released Ability Mail Server 4.2.4 which includes a new Add Url Link button in the WebMail HTML compose toolbar to add hyperlinks as with AMS 2 / 3 WebMail.

Please see http://www.codecrafters.com/AbilityMail ... ateHistory for full details.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Many thanks. As soon as I got the email announcement, I downloaded the file and upgraded.

However, I just tried to use the button and it doesn't appear to work. It does pop up a window in which I can enter the URL and some text to describe the URL, but the data doesn't seem to get transferred to the body of the email. So far, I've tried it with FireFox, IE, and MS Edge, all yielding the same results.

As an aside, I also noticed that there is no button for strikethrough text.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Make sure that you've highlighted the HTML edit section of the page before using the Url insert as it inserts at the caret but won't work if there that edit input isn't selected.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:58 pm

I finally go it to work, but it's pretty finicky. What I had to do is type the URL into the body of the email (NOT into the popup, which is possible in most other apps), then highlight and copy the URL text, then click the URL Link button, then highlight the existing "http://" in the URL box of the popup, then paste the URL text I copied from the body.

Unfortunately, not only is this pretty painstaking, the resulting email still gives no indication that the text is a URL link.

I have tried colouring the text, and underlining it, before copying and pasting into the URL Link popup, but the formatting is lost. I also tried colouring and underlining the text after completing the URL insert, but the colouring doesn't work on the text. Fortunately, the underlining does seem to work, even to the underline being coloured.

Still, this seems like an inordinate amount of work to insert a URL so that the recipient will know it's a URL when reading the email.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am

The insert link function worked fine for us as long as you have the email edit window selected first. As for the styling of URLs this is a separate issue that we are going to change in another update.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm embedding a URL to a short video I made of what I'm experiencing when trying to embed a URL in an email while using the AMS Web Client: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Am5PWkYs-WX7iTPhXShMsaOPfJvS. If you get a popup prompt to sign in to a Microsoft account simply click on No thanks, continue to view at the bottom of the popup.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 pm

What browser and version were you using in the video?
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 am

An excellent question. I use FireFox exclusively, because of its greater security. I would abandon the Internet altogether before I would use Chrome, although I might consider using Comodo Dragon. The version of FF is 56.0.2 (64 bit). It's FF for Windows.

Thanks for taking time to view the video. Anything I can do to help with this, or any other issue, please let me know.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks for the information. Hopefully we can reproduce and fix the issue. Please try to leave your videos accessible until we can fix these issues. If you prefer, you can email us them to info@codecrafters.com and remove them from being viewable online.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:52 pm

No problem. I can leave them up. There's nothing personal in them anyway. However, for your convenience, I'll probably try to send you at least one of them. We'll see if it gets through. I'm glad to know the videos are helpful.
Ikon

Return to General