Dissapearing Emails

Dissapearing Emails

Postby m1byo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 am

Hello,

I am managing an instance of AMS running as a front-end spam buffer for the exchange server hosting the emails. At the same time exchange server has been configured to use this AMS installation as a smart-host and so all outgoing emails were being sent through the server.

When the system is in this configuration, it seems there are a few outgoing email addresses to which emails never arrive, (1 adddress @virgin.net in particular), I have scanned all of the AMS log files for the last month and I am unable to find any reference to this email address, however when I turn off the usage of the smart host by the exchange server so it sends all the emails out directly to recipients, these emails are getting through.

any ideas?

Thanks very much

Ian
m1byo

Re: Dissapearing Emails

Postby rob » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:37 am

Normally in this circumstance the lost mail can be put down to external SPAM filtering but since the outmail log has no record of the mails, it would appear that the mails are being lost before they can hit the outgoing mail queue. What I would recommend is also search the SMTP log for a email address and hopefully you will be able to spot something there (such as one of the AMS filters deleting the more or such). If you can't find a instance of the address there, then this would indicate that some how exchange is failing to send those mails. Of course it may be useful to send mail to one the affected addresses, then examine the logs as the mail should be freshly visible in the latest logs.
rob

Return to General