Max Mail Per Day

Max Mail Per Day

Postby sterling » Sat May 10, 2008 2:15 pm

How can I limit the number of emails each day that is sent out per user? Would I use the Max Mails Sent Per Day option in the group or would that limit the group to only send a up to the number I input into that field? Or should I use the Max Mails Per IP under SMTP Security? Reason I ask is because recently a user had a weak password and their account was used to send out a lot of spam so I wanted to setup a limit so that if this happens again it will not be as bad.

Any information would be great.

Thanks!
sterling

Re: Max Mail Per Day

Postby Code Crafters » Mon May 12, 2008 11:29 am

The main settings to use are the Max Mails Sent Per Day and Max Mails Sent Per Day (KB) values in the group settings as you pointed out. These are limits per user for all users in that group. You can also limit the Max Mails Sent Per IP in the SMTP settings but this is mainly for non-authenticated mail that obviously doesn't fit into any user group limit. You may also like to use the anti-hammering settings in the general settings (enabled per service also) to prevent brute force password guessing attacks which causes the user to be blocked for 30 minutes after 5 login failures by default. Of course all settings can be changed to values that you prefer.
Code Crafters

Return to General